Quantcast

computer people i need help!!!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
so my old ass lap top has finally been replaced and when i went to turn on my old one to get all my stock photos off of it it decided it didnt want to boot fully. it will bring up the icons and the background but not the friggin start button or lower tool bar. if i take it somewhere do you think they can get all the files out of the "my pictures" directory or am i screwed?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Are you sure it isn't minimized? Go to the very bottom of the screen and see if you get a double arrow thing.

Trying starting it in Safe Mode too.

Do the icons work?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
firetoole said:
just go into your hard drive from the my computer
That, or hold down the "Windows key" and hit the letter E at the same time. It'll bring up Windows Explorer.

SkaredShtles said:
You may have "Auto Hide" selected for the toolbar? If that's the case and you accidentally moved it to another side, you may be able to check the left, right, and top margin for the hidden toolbar.
The hidden toolbar shows up at one edge of the screen as a narrow gray bar - you can drag it back open.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Biggins, is that lappy making click, click, click noises? If it is, there might be a chance the hard drive is dying on you. If this is the case, don't boot it up anymore as the faileur is progressive (slow and painful death). You can still get the data off of it by pulling the HDD out and hooking it up to another machine and pulling the data off before the drive goes completely. It might be that you won't be able to get everything tho... A PC repair shop should be able to do ths for you for like the cost of one hours time and give you a CD/DVD in the end. You can also try this yourself, but you'll need to get your hands on a lappy HDD to IDE adapter (around $12.00 or so). But pulling that drive out is a complete pain in the ass!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
biggins said:
so my old ass lap top has finally been replaced and when i went to turn on my old one to get all my stock photos off of it
Just get your backup copy of the photos and put them on the new computer............... :think:

You did make backup copies of your important stuff, right? ;)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
14psisupra said:
i pulled my hard drive out with 2 screwes, slides straight out the front of mine
That's true on some of them, especially the Dells. But on the older ones, and especially the Sony's...friggin' 1 hour surgery. I remember doing a HP that needed to have the LCD removed (some sort of metal bracket holding everything together) so I can get at the HDD, but it was an older machine tho.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
That's true on some of them, especially the Dells. But on the older ones, and especially the Sony's...friggin' 1 hour surgery. I remember doing a HP that needed to have the LCD removed (some sort of metal bracket holding everything together) so I can get at the HDD, but it was an older machine tho.
Have you been outside today? Why aren't you riding your bike? :think:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Have you been outside today? Why aren't you riding your bike? :think:
Nope, I've been learning how to make DVDs from AVIs and WMVs. I've also been using my rollers late at night while watching those DVDs :D
Hey, wanna go to WP/Jane tomorrow? I bought a seasons and still haven't picked it up yet. Been up in the 'Boat twice tho.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
<snip>
Hey, wanna go to WP/Jane tomorrow? I bought a seasons and still haven't picked it up yet. Been up in the 'Boat twice tho.
Like to, but I'm heading up to RMNP for some backcountry skiing. Hopefully we'll be able to get out this season, though for some pow or bumps. :thumb:

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
biggins said:
so my old ass lap top has finally been replaced and when i went to turn on my old one to get all my stock photos off of it it decided it didnt want to boot fully. it will bring up the icons and the background but not the friggin start button or lower tool bar. if i take it somewhere do you think they can get all the files out of the "my pictures" directory or am i screwed?
This is unlikely, but maybe there's something preventing the process from starting on boot-up. You can try the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing, pick the Applications tab, New Task, type "Explorer". That basically does the same thing as Windows key-E, but it may initiate the process a slightly different way.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hmmmmm...the tool bar is definately there it is just white and doesnt fill out. as for having backups i have a lot but not the new finished products of about 70 pics that i need more than anything on the computer at this point. the drive is definately making all kinds of noises. i think i am going to take it to the comp shop tomorrow. any ideas on how much those guys charge on average?