Quantcast

Computer Suggestions...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anybody have any good suggestions to buy a new desktop from?

I've been looking thru Dell.com but I wanted to see what else was out there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
figure out if a packaged system is gonna meet yr needs. it didn't for me, and the machine H8R spec'd and BV assembled was a great machine for a fraction of the price had i gone w/ a set system from a retailer.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
www.bensbargains.net posts deals on Dells all the time.

You can always build your own, of course, but given the price of some of those Dells, it may not be worth it unless you really want to.
I just built my own... it caught on fire a bit the other day....
I'm not sure if it's worth my trouble to replace the MOBO Processor and RAM.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
figure out if a packaged system is gonna meet yr needs. it didn't for me, and the machine H8R spec'd and BV assembled was a great machine for a fraction of the price had i gone w/ a set system from a retailer.
And if I recall correctly that was a pretty nice machine. Stosh, maybe you should hire the H8R/BV team. You already have tons of software including Windows. Since the software is the expensive part that route may save you quite a bit of money. Depending on how much the labor charges, that is.

stosh said:
I just built my own... it caught on fire a bit the other day....
I'm not sure if it's worth my trouble to replace the MOBO Processor and RAM.
Fire? What did you do to it? Fire?!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ciaran said:
And if I recall correctly that was a pretty nice machine. Stosh, maybe you should hire the H8R/BV team. You already have tons of software including Windows. Since the software is the expensive part that route may save you quite a bit of money. Depending on how much the labor charges, that is.
that's what i did...i had a bunch of stuff i could swap over (monitor, keyboard, mouse, dvd burner, etc) so all i needed was the guts. i spent about $1000 on everything, but half of that was for SATA hard drives and you probably don't need all the space i was looking for.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ciaran said:

Fire? What did you do to it? Fire?!
Thats another problem... I don't have a clean version of windows...

Not sure, it hasn't been working right. The other day when I started operating when I turned it on is sparked, there was a small flame and smoke.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is like buying a bike, there are ALOT of choices out there.

1) How much can you spend?
2) What will it be used for, mainly?
3) What media will you want to run or burn with it? DVD's? Or will just CD's be ok?
4) Graphic needs? Games? 3D modeling? Just office stuff?
5) Will you be running proccessor-heavy stuf like Photoshop filters on big files, etc?

Give us some info.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
So a Windell will be perfect for him.
It's only problematic if the builder doesn't know what they are doing... you only get viruses if you are lazy. I have only had one virus in the last 7 years or so, and that was my fault for running an unprotected PC.

Of course he can always go Linux.

Stosh, I have a better, non-pirate copy of Windows XP Pro if you need it... With a legal key.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
Not sure, it hasn't been working right. The other day when I started operating when I turned it on is sparked, there was a small flame and smoke.
You are fired as the computer tech for Stosh.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
H8R said:
This is like buying a bike, there are ALOT of choices out there.

1) How much can you spend?
2) What will it be used for, mainly?
3) What media will you want to run or burn with it? DVD's? Or will just CD's be ok?
4) Graphic needs? Games? 3D modeling? Just office stuff?
5) Will you be running proccessor-heavy stuf like Photoshop filters on big files, etc?

Give us some info.
I play games during the winter on my computer. I usually play the first person shooter games.
I will also be running Autocad and when the files get large it can weigh the system down.

I was really hoping to get a great deal for JUST the desktop thru dell for between 500-600.

If I could get a new mobo, processor, videocard and RAM and Windows for under 600 I would do it.
I would like a processor over 3GHZ and atleast 1gig ram.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ciaran said:
It's only problematic if the builder doesn't know what they are doing... you only get viruses if you are lazy. I have only had one virus in the last 7 years or so, and that was my fault for running an unprotected PC.

Of course he can always go Linux.

Stosh, I have a better, non-pirate copy of Windows XP Pro if you need it... With a legal key.
I may just take it off your hands if I build a computer.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This is what I was running.

MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard -

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR400X64C3A/512

430 Anatec true power powersupply.

I forget what HD I have but it's a 200gig I think.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I bought a comp from BUYABS.COM about 4.5 years ago p3 667mhz. Still kicking. They use non propriatary parts unlike dell and gateway so its fully upgradeable. I would give them a shot if you dont like building your own.

My inner geek wants to build my own but the wife wants a simplified warranty process.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
beestiboy said:
I bought a comp from BUYABS.COM about 4.5 years ago p3 667mhz. Still kicking. They use non propriatary parts unlike dell and gateway so its fully upgradeable. I would give them a shot if you dont like building your own.

My inner geek wants to build my own but the wife wants a simplified warranty process.
Yeah that is a huge problem I have with purchasing a dell. THanks for the advice.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I got burned with gateway (they solder everything into the mobo)so when it came time to buy another i looked for the first company that just assembled others parts. Other than adding ram(so i could run XP) and replacing the burner literally no problems. though it is ready to crap out any day now.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
beestiboy said:
I got burned with gateway (they solder everything into the mobo)so when it came time to buy another i looked for the first company that just assembled others parts. Other than adding ram(so i could run XP) and replacing the burner literally no problems. though it is ready to crap out any day now.
Cool thanks! I was hoping there site would allow you to customize more but I'll have to keep looking.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
See I want to build mine more to play games on then to do all that video/audio stuff that Narlus wants to.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
I play games during the winter on my computer. I usually play the first person shooter games.
I will also be running Autocad and when the files get large it can weigh the system down.

I was really hoping to get a great deal for JUST the desktop thru dell for between 500-600.

If I could get a new mobo, processor, videocard and RAM and Windows for under 600 I would do it.
I would like a processor over 3GHZ and atleast 1gig ram.
If you had a fire, I'd replace almost everything but the case. Do you know if the HD is toasted too?

$500 - $600 is gonna be tough.

Gimme a few, I'll get back to you on this.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
See I want to build mine more to play games on then to do all that video/audio stuff that Narlus wants to.
Most pupose built gaming computers will handle everything else no problem. Add a DVD burner and you're set.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
H8R said:
If you had a fire, I'd replace almost everything but the case. Do you know if the HD is toasted too?

$500 - $600 is gonna be tough.

Gimme a few, I'll get back to you on this.
It was just a little snap and I looked and it appeared that it came from the chipset on the mobo if that makes sense.

I could probably go to $700.
I think the HD, CD drives, and Powersupply are ok.
Maybe what I should do is replace the MOBO Processor, and RAM and see if I can get it to run.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
H8R said:
Most pupose built gaming computers will handle everything else no problem. Add a DVD burner and you're set.
Well he had a video card with TV out and I don't need that.
Also I wasn't going to get an audio card right now.
I can re-use my case too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Yeah that is a huge problem I have with purchasing a dell. THanks for the advice.
This is a big misnomer.

The bottom of the line Dells solder everything to the motherboard - just like every other bottom of the line PC in the world.

Anything decent from Dell or will have standards just like anything else. When it says it comes with a PCI Express video card, it's not some weird PCI Express card that's soldered onto the board, it comes in a normal PCI express slot.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
This is a big misnomer.

The bottom of the line Dell's solder everything to the motherboard - just like every other bottom of the line PC in the world.

Anything decent from Dell or will have standards just like anything else. When it says it comes with a PCI Express video card, it's not some weird PCI Express card that's soldered onto the board, it comes in a normal PCI express slot.
OH so you're saying I should buy a Dell?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
OH so you're saying I should buy a Dell?
Well, if a Dell system supports your needs, then sure. I'm just feeding some information in to help you make an informed decision.

The vast majority of computer users are waaay better off with an out-of-the-box system. Building it yourself comes with numerous inherent risks - dead components, sketchy warrenties, no tech support - whereas getting a system gives you some coverage. If anything is dead, you ship the whole system back and they replace it. If you need a warrenty, Dell takes care of you. If you have trouble, Abu from India gives you a hand.

If you have a lot of components to transfer over, though, just replacing the motherboard, CPU and RAM is pretty cheap and easy. Even throw in a video card, and you're still saving $50 or so on a cd burner, $50 or more on a case, another $50 on a power supply... All of those small, $50 investments can be used to bump up CPU speed, add a little more RAM, etc. It's all about your comfort level.