Quantcast

Computer Virus got scared away?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Got a very bad computer virus, one of the ones that pop up saying "protect your PC" with 3-10 pop ups every time you click the mouse :mad: I eventually found a "loop hole" with the virus, takes 30 seconds before it starts, i turned on the computer and in my 30 second window downloaded 2011 norton and other important things, after 12 restarts i get norton to do a scan, as its scanning the virus pop ups go NUTS, than stop, after it scans every file, it tells me no threats are found, and the computer is fine, havent had a pop-up yet? :confused:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you were able to download and scan w/ Norton's in 30 seconds??
i love Norton's but it takes a bit longer than 30 seconds to scan

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Got a very bad computer virus, one of the ones that pop up saying "protect your PC" with 3-10 pop ups every time you click the mouse :mad: I eventually found a "loop hole" with the virus, takes 30 seconds before it starts, i turned on the computer and in my 30 second window downloaded 2011 norton and other important things, after 12 restarts i get norton to do a scan, as its scanning the virus pop ups go NUTS, than stop, after it scans every file, it tells me no threats are found, and the computer is fine, havent had a pop-up yet? :confused:
Security suite virus. Actually it's pretty easy to make sure you got rid of it. Go to my computer, and search the most recent files. The ones at the top of the list will be the ones that are in question. If there are a couple that seem odd to you, then try to delete them completely, if the pop ups start coming again then you still have it, but you know the file origin- hard shut down your computer and when it reboots go into safemode, then find that original file and delete it. That particular virus is designed to constantly switch file origins when you are doing a virus scan.

BTW norton sucks. Get Avast.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
you were able to download and scan w/ Norton's in 30 seconds??
i love Norton's but it takes a bit longer than 30 seconds to scan
no it was restart download norton, restart open norton, restart set up, restart setup, restart agree to terms, restart do a scan, tedious but hey, it worked so far

Nod32 is the best software?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
In windows go to start->run and type msconfig, then hit enter. A window will pop up with a bunch of tabs. I would suggest going through the entries in the Services and Startup tabs as another means to identify nasty programs. Just search google for each one.

Or go Mac/Linux. But only if you don't play games.. and only go Linux if you don't do video editing/graphics. Linux is free and a little user-unfriendly if you go outside the realm of web browsing, email, and simple office tasks OS X is user-friendly albeit expensive and locked down.

Edit: If you want to try Ubuntu (a great Linux distro to go with!) you can download something called a live cd. This will allow you to boot into linux and try it out without having to install it on your computer. Kinda nice for trying before committing to anything.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley

Try this

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Use Microsoft Security Essentials. It works really well and is free.

Otherwise, just have your parents get you a mac. You will be a lot happier.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Use Microsoft Security Essentials. It works really well and is free.

Otherwise, just have your parents get you a mac. You will be a lot happier.
Cant stand Macs, every time i go on a mac i feel stupid, its just too "easy" followed by a spinning wheel of death, would have done linux, but i video edit, so thats off the table