Quantcast

Computer/Web Gurus: Help needed.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I just upgraded to a faster internet connection today and for the most part, it works, save for one problem. My computer is not exactly feeling the effects of the upgrade while all of the other computers in the network do. I've been using the www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and consistently come up with 650-700 kbps on my machine while all of the other computers are seeing 1800+. I've isolated the problem to solely my computer. I bought a new ethernet adapter, thinking that was the issue, but it didn't remedy the problem. I've tried switching cables, to see if the cable I was using is faulty, but I still come up with the same result.

This is where I need help. Would anyone happen to know what could be sucking my bandwidth before I get to it? I'm fairly confident that I don't have any spyware, adware, or viruses on my computer as I use Norton, Spyware Doctor, Adaware, and Spybot regularly (Sounds a bit overkill, but I've been fed up with spyware..) Anywho, what else could be the cause of the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hrm, interesting.

There are specific TCP/IP settings that relate to bandwidth management, including maximum packet size and some other settings. You could try a program like TuneUp Utilities 2006:

http://www.tune-up.com/

It has a system optimizer that will let you optimize internet settings. Make sure you have the rescue deal turned on though in case something gets screwed up.

Just a guess.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Go to www.broadbandreports and run some of the tools they have, then read the faqs and see if you can get some clues. Their forums are really good, post questions there and you'll have an answer by the end of the day, just a warning though, be sure to read the forum rules and guidelines and include all the information they ask for before hitting the submit button or you might not get the help you want.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Is this computer a bit older, or is the NIC older?
Is it connected directly to a switch or a hub?

If switch, does the switch have management?
Have you tried another port on the switch?
Is the duplex settings set the same on both NIC and Switch? (auto is usually a good choice on your computer, if you're not sure)

Try this:

Start -> Run
Write: cmd

In the shell, type:

netstat -s

See if any of the error counters have any hits.

Does the computer have multiple NIC's?
Disable all NIC not currently in use.

Have this computer ever been used as a internet gateway for other computers? Disable all earlier routing and gateway software.
(easiest way: uninstall NIC, reboot the computer to let it find and install the nic again. It will then rebuild the routing table as soon as it gets an IP).

Good luck. :)

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
BV's site was the money. I had found the DSLreports tweaktester deal and got it up to 1300 kbps, then squeezed out the extra 500 kbps with Tune-Up Utilities. Thanks for all of the help!