Quantcast

Computerized Suspension

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
well you see linkage forks had this weird thing about them where they weighed more got less travel, and broke more often, so nobody would touch the stuff. People lost interest and it fizzled also think if a computer controled your suspension and that computer had its battery die then what?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Doesn't Cannondale have an electronic Lefty?

Haha, I remember wanting one of those K2/Noleens soooo bad. I was on a Girvin Vector2 at the time, that was the new model.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I remember enough to know that linkage forks are dumb, but my main question is why people didn't pursue this sort of technology for other applications? I suppose the ghost of the Mavic Mektronic lives on :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think the ratio of cost:weight/complexity/expense ratio just isn't there. This died for the same reason that Shimano Airlines died. It's not that it didn't work well, or couldn't be developed further. I mean, who wouldn't want instant, snappy, precise shifting?

It's a big cost increase, only to add weight and significant complexity to your bike. Had the technology been developed further, it's very likely that weight, cost, and complexity would not have gone down - performance would have just gotten better. Riders will pay any amount of money for a small performance gain, but not when they pay so many penalties for it.

Suspension performance from a good quality, well set up shock is going to be pretty great. The performance increase just isn't/wasn't/won't be worth the downsides.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Wasn't the K2 fork (both the linkage and std tele-fork) basically an electronic blow off valve? Or an early Platform system if you will. :think:

I can't remember.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Thrillkil said:
hey - I was reading about this active suspension system K2/Noleen made around 1998.

http://www.proflex.demon.co.uk/855headfeatures/k2bike/smart.htm

I was curious as to why this system did not really take off. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Oh man... this brings back memories.

I have a K2 bike that has this shock (I loan it to people that want something to ride around town with). The shock is interesting. It hardens up toward the end of the stroke... that's what the electronic thingy does. You can also set it up for a stiffer ride or softer ride. Works much like air shocks do, but you need a 9 volt.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Thrillkil said:
I was curious as to why this system did not really take off. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Because cyclist can't figure out how to adjust a freak'n deraileur let alone a computerized suspension system.

:D

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
I think than linking a kind of piezoelectric valving to a torque sensor in pedaling system (BB, maybe), could be a good way to get an active suspension with effective pedaling... Honda gonna make it?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
actually, there is suspension out there, i think for cars, that has viscous fluid with metal flakes in it, for which when u apply a current, it can make the fluid thicker or thinner, hence controlling the suspension... something like that

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
MikeT said:
actually, there is suspension out there, i think for cars, that has viscous fluid with metal flakes in it, for which when u apply a current, it can make the fluid thicker or thinner, hence controlling the suspension... something like that
I've heard about that, but, how fast could be the viscosity switching? fast enough to change the shock performance in small track sections?...
Let´s read...

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
A couple years back there was a ME (mechanical engineering) senior here, who for his senior design project, designed a bike suspension system around that idea (I believe)... don't have much info about it though. It would be interesting to research it further, but I'm already on another design team (CVT for a bike :drool: )

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
MikeT said:
A couple years back there was a ME (mechanical engineering) senior here, who for his senior design project, designed a bike suspension system around that idea (I believe)... don't have much info about it though. It would be interesting to research it further, but I'm already on another design team (CVT for a bike :drool: )
Oh, yes. There were roumors about the first Honda prototypes were on a CVT platform.
.... and about the magnetics, it may be closer to real than i guess
it's almost done

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
new the 2006 white brothers XC fork use a magnetics for their SPV valve. on the newer corvette's, there is are iron particles in the shock fluid, and running a current through it changes the viscosity instantly

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
Fulton said:
new the 2006 white brothers XC fork use a magnetics for their SPV valve. on the newer corvette's, there is are iron particles in the shock fluid, and running a current through it changes the viscosity instantly
Yes, but the WB isn't magnetic fluid, it doesn't change viscosity. It's just a magnet in the valve wich makes it works like an on/off switch... better the floodgate.
And about the Corvette, right, that's the same principle i'd like to see on a bike... the same as in '90s F1

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Bati said:
I've heard about that, but, how fast could be the viscosity switching? fast enough to change the shock performance in small track sections?...
Let´s read...

almost instantly.
i saw a demo of that a while ago.

my jaw dropped at first. it went from almost no damping, to hydraulic lock out almost instantly.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
MikeT said:
FOX has a pro line for SCORE/BAJA type racing. You can adjust the ride and suspension. Lots of extra's though... I don't need it for my bike... the simpler the be better.

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
Bend, Oregon
Ascentrek said:
FOX has a pro line for SCORE/BAJA type racing. You can adjust the ride and suspension. Lots of extra's though... I don't need it for my bike... the simpler the be better.
I'm pretty sure that Fox isn't using any type of magnetic shock fluid in their off-road shocks. I talked to them about it after I saw what Bose was working on. They had already looked into it, but the fluid is too viscus and would overheat in an off-road application. It's pretty cool technology though. The only person/company that has any real experience/success with magnetic fluid in off-road shocks is Rod Millen (and all of that was related to military contracts).