Quantcast

Computer's dead again

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
But it's the EXACT link I downloaded from last week....

I'll give it a shot though.

But it kinda seems weird that MacAfee won't install either. It will download, "pretend" to install and then say that some files could not be installed.

Never had either of these problems before...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I've given up...this is merely for your amusement....

The mobo I got has a VIA chipset (as opposed to the nVidia chipset I once had). Graphics card won't work with it. Stuck in VGA mode.

Done lots of digging. Found this an the ATI site

737-22933: No Direct3D Acceleration or Failure to Boot into Windows on Some VIA-Based Motherboards

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

Catalyst Display Driver 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9
VIA KT400 chipset
Radeon® X1600 series
Radeon® X1300 series
Radeon® X800 series
Radeon® X700 series
Radeon® 9800 series
Radeon® 9700 series
Radeon® 9600 series
Radeon® 9550 series
Radeon® 9500 series
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Symptoms
On some VIA chipset motherboards configured with an ATI AGP graphics product, attempting to boot Windows may fail and produce a black display or cause the system to restart. Other symptoms may include the desktop starting up in low resolution or color depth settings or Direct3D is disabled in the DirectX Diagnostics.

Other configurations may be affected.

Cause
Unknown at this time

Solution
For the following products, install Catalyst 6.10 display drivers.

Radeon® X1600 series
Radeon® X1300 series
Radeon® X800 series
Radeon® X700 series
Radeon® 9800 series
Radeon® 9700 series

For the following products, please install Catalyst 6.4 display drivers as a workaround. ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating it. Any updates will be published when they become available.

Radeon® 9600 series
Radeon® 9500 series
Radeon® 9550 series

To ensure that you are notified of updates to this article, please register your product. Once the product has been registered and you have an ATI Customer Care account, please click "sign-in" in the top right hand corner to log into your account, and then click "subscribe to topic" on the right side of the article to be notified of updates to the article.
I tried the workaround. It does not work.

the whole reason I asked the guy to get me an AGP mobo was so that I didn't haveto buy a new graphics card.

Go ahead....keep laughing...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
As if....I've never known ANYONE to be happy with a Dell. My mother, sister in law, a few friends....ALL have had trouble, right out of the box. Defective hard drives, inoperative motherboards etc etc....

Dells are trash.....as are the people what tell others to buy them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As if....I've never known ANYONE to be happy with a Dell. My mother, sister in law, a few friends....ALL have had trouble, right out of the box. Defective hard drives, inoperative motherboards etc etc....

I see. So, which do you think is more pertinent? The fact that you've seen a small handful of people who have had problems with Dells (and hey, look, you're having problems! And it's not a Dell!), or the fact that I've directly or indirectly supported a few hundred Dells over the ourpast 5-7 years and have not seen them fail at a higher rate than any other big brand?

Just sayin' ;).

Contact ATI, there's probably a step you're missing or something else you can do to get it running. ATI writes crappy drivers.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I see. So, which do you think is more pertinent? The fact that you've seen a small handful of people who have had problems with Dells (and hey, look, you're having problems! And it's not a Dell!), or the fact that I've directly or indirectly supported a few hundred Dells over the ourpast 5-7 years and have not seen them fail at a higher rate than any other big brand?

Just sayin' ;).

Contact ATI, there's probably a step you're missing or something else you can do to get it running. ATI writes crappy drivers.
JUDAS!!! Whose side are you on???

Yeah...I'm going to contact ATI. I just discovered this latest developemetn late last night, and needed to walk away. I'll email them later on......

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
man... you're going to be a pro once this is all over with. You'll be in charge of helping Mom from now on...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Holy sweet jesus, I think I fixed it.

The support guys at ATI seem to have fixed me up. They pointed me to a slightly older driver suite, had me run Windows install clean-up....and it seems to be (jinx jinx) working....

Who's the moron now eh? Who's the moron n...........

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

And I've never had problems with them. Sony and Toshiba on the other hand...I can't say enough bad things about Sony in general, and Toshiba makes a good laptop if you need one for 6 months...