Quantcast

Computers, GPS...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Okay, I've long been against using all these devices on rides, but since Ive began tracking mileage and time with mycyclinglog.com, Ive become a little obsessed with collecting data...

What Id like, ideally, would be something with a GPS that is useful not only on the bike, but also serves as a computer when on the bike. Something I could use hiking... is there such a thing?

Also, whatever software that is used with it must be compatible with a mac.

What is everyone using and what are your features? I see folks posting pics with their GPS'd route marked over terrain. Is this done with a program specific to your GPS, or are you google earthing the coordinates and overalying your trip via photoshop or what?

Clueless here...

It depends how much you want to spend, my mom bought a magellan car navigation thing, and it really small, so it could serve as a gps system for my bike, it tell how far youve gone, elevation, and would even give me directions to somewhere I want to ride. Some companys make handle bar mounts for the GPS, I believe the Etrex (i think its called that) has a hadle bar mount, and has the basic stuff that you'd proboly use and its small.
http://http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
that link didnt work, but I looked it up. What exactly would a $100 GPS offer that a $300 wouldnt? And are there cycling specific GPS's that also serve as cycling computers?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Splat, thanks for the link. Thinking back, I guess its actually your posts more than anyone elses that Im thinking about when talking about mapping out rides. That thing is pricey for sure :biggrin:

Does it have any use in a back pack?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Splat, thanks for the link. Thinking back, I guess its actually your posts more than anyone elses that Im thinking about when talking about mapping out rides. That thing is pricey for sure :biggrin:

Does it have any use in a back pack?
I've got an Edge 305, with the cadence sensor, it's a pretty neat toy to have. Give ya a good idea of what's going on during a ride. I really don't look at anything special with it on the bike, but it's got alot of useful data post ride, plus you can upload route to it.

It's kinda large and i worry about toasting it out if i wreck, the stem mount seemed to be the safest bet. They also make a Forerunner 305 which is the same thing in watch format.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the 305 Edge as well. Having done the research, it seems like the best for the buck to offer the many cycling specific options.

FYI...if you follow the link in THIS MTBR AD, they constantly have great deals.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I picked up a Garmin Foretrex 201 at EMS when they were on sale. It mounts very nicely on my handlebars (using the mount for my HRM) and it does everything I need it to do. It can also be taken off and used while running (what it's really designed for).

I think I paid $99 for it.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx/#

this is the newer version of my gps that i use. i paid well under the retail price as i bought it on closeout at REI. Most of the garmin gps have somesort of cycling computer on them: average speed, stopped/moving times, distance traveled... they really are a great tool. one thing to keep in mind you will have to buy the software with the gps at around $75.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
the software is detailed topography maps for your handheld. also, you can mount the gps to your bar (garmin makes a holder to attach for under 20). OR i picked up a timbuk2 case that i attach to my camleback straps.