Quantcast

Computers

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
What tpye of computers do you guys use for your bikes? I've got a gift certificate at this LBS and was thinking of getting a computer for the bike. They have a few cat eye's that range around $30. Then they jump to $100. They also carry a few Specialized computers. I was thinking about the Turbo Elite. It's right around $70 bucks, and it's wireless and has just about everything on it beside an inclometer, temp, Altimeter,and Alt.Gain. That's about all they have, but I really don't have to buy one there. What's everyone using, and what are your reviews.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I use a $17 Bell computer that I got at Sports Unauthority. It does everything I want it too. Current speed, average Speed, =/- avg speed, trip meter, odo, top speed, time & ride time.

my only complaint is that the magnet sensor is friggen huge.

J

JRB

Cateye Enduro 2. The new one is the Enduro 8 I think. I have never had any trouble. Well, once. I was at Big Bend and really needed mileage for some logistics. I reset it and it worked from then on. I is 2 years old or so and has many miles on it.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
What's everyones take on wireless too. I was leaning wireless, because I didn't want to mess with routing a wire, but if wireless is not reliable I'll deal.

J

JRB

JSB said:
What's everyones take on wireless too. I was leaning wireless, because I didn't want to mess with routing a wire, but if wireless is not reliable I'll deal.
They mostly suck.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
loco said:
They mostly suck.

Yep!

Not only do you have to worry about changing the battery in the computer, but you have to worry about changing it in the sensor too. They recieve a LOT of interference (Sensormatic really throws them for a loop for some reason) and they are not always reliable. you have to have them lined up exactly right or they wont work. If you are going down a bumpy trail and your handlemount computer moves, it doesnt work. If your sensor moves, it doesnt work.

Go with wired, cheaper, and more reliable :thumb:

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Hmm. Mostly suck, and cost more...Not a good combination. That shoots holes through what I was wanting to acocmplish with that specialized comp. It has a two wheel option so you can use it on two bikes. I was hoping to use it on a road bike as well. I guess I can buy two Cat eyes for the same price though.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got a Shimano Flight Deck on my road bike. I like it a lot...it serves my purpose and gives me all kinds of cool, useless statistics. The Flight Deck can be swapped simultaneously between four bikes. I had been swapping it between my road bike and mountain bike, but I removed the hookup from my MTB out of fear of breaking it.

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
I've had good luck with the Planet Bike 9.0, 2 wheel setting (road and MTB) cheap extra mounting kits ($10). Lotsa info on on screen.

Had a wireless SigmaSport and it worked for 5 years before the transmitter part broke, can still use it with the regular wire harness.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I Are Baboon said:
I've got a Shimano Flight Deck on my road bike. I like it a lot...it serves my purpose and gives me all kinds of cool, useless statistics. The Flight Deck can be swapped simultaneously between four bikes. I had been swapping it between my road bike and mountain bike, but I removed the hookup from my MTB out of fear of breaking it.

I never understood the flight deck thing. Is it really necessarry to have a computer tell you what gear you are in?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have the Enduro 8. I think almost all but the very cheapest models have at least a 2 bike option. However for the $20 that they cost, just get 1 for each bike and save the swapping. No doubt it will always be on the wrong bike when you want it most.

I have a wireless on my roadbike (it came with it when I bought it used) but I had issues with a wireless computer on my MTB in the past.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BigMike said:
I never understood the flight deck thing. Is it really necessarry to have a computer tell you what gear you are in?
it's obvious that you've never actually looked at one becuase it does all kinds of stuff other than that. Cadence, elapsed, laps, mph, avg. etc. it's an invaluable too.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Toninator said:
Cadence, elapsed, laps, mph, avg. etc.
trip time, trip distance, odometer, stopwatch, average speed, max speed...

Edit: I don't actually use the gear display all that much, but setting it up correctly makes for more accurate statistics.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Oh man. Sore subject right now. I had a Cateye on my Blur but it worked intermittently. I cleaned the contacts, checked the wires, etc, no matter what I did it would just randomly work.

So for the 24 hour race I got a this $10 computer from Supergo, hey I knew it was a piece of crap but I only needed it to work for one day.

I get done with my first lap, and I want to check my time, etc so I push a button. It get stuck. Now the stupid thing is flashing back and forth between my max speed and average speed or something stupid like that. I can't get the damn button to pop out. So I push the other button out of frustration. It gets stuck too, and after 3 seconds of both buttons being pushed in, the whole thing resets to factory defaults.

I threw it in the garbage. Bike computers suck.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Echo said:
Oh man. Sore subject right now. I had a Cateye on my Blur but it worked intermittently. I cleaned the contacts, checked the wires, etc, no matter what I did it would just randomly work.

So for the 24 hour race I got a this $10 computer from Supergo, hey I knew it was a piece of crap but I only needed it to work for one day.

I get done with my first lap, and I want to check my time, etc so I push a button. It get stuck. Now the stupid thing is flashing back and forth between my max speed and average speed or something stupid like that. I can't get the damn button to pop out. So I push the other button out of frustration. It gets stuck too, and after 3 seconds of both buttons being pushed in, the whole thing resets to factory defaults.

I threw it in the garbage. Bike computers suck.
ROTFLMAO

Sorry dude

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I had a wireless avocent one on my old hardtail that worked great. Pretty basic but all i needed was speed and distance. then the bike got stolen. i still have the computer but can't get the wheel end of it anymore, i don't think. :mumble:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The Toninator said:
it's obvious that you've never actually looked at one becuase it does all kinds of stuff other than that. Cadence, elapsed, laps, mph, avg. etc. it's an invaluable too.

Right. I've had plenty of cyclecomputers, and they have all done Elapsed, mph, avg, some of them cadence, etc. Its my understanding that the only difference between a nice cyclecomputer and a flight deck compatible one is the gear stuff. am I incorrectly informed?

J

JRB

BigMike said:
Right. I've had plenty of cyclecomputers, and they have all done Elapsed, mph, avg, some of them cadence, etc. Its my understanding that the only difference between a nice cyclecomputer and a flight deck compatible one is the gear stuff. am I incorrectly informed?
Nope - my $23 dollar Cateye Astrale on my road bike does all of that. I just look down to see the gears. I don't know what the numbers are anyway.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BigMike said:
The answer is MOOT. If you were making a comparison between bike computers in this statement
BigMike said:
I never understood the flight deck thing. Is it really necessary to have a computer tell you what gear you are in?
then i either missed it or you didnt relate your argument very well.
The main reason I believe the gear indicator is there is because the flight deck system uses virtual cadence which is calculated off of Gear and speed. This way it cuts down on wiring and extra sensors and stuff that easily gets messed up. I think.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
johnbryanpeters said:
As Echo said, bike computers suck. Another thing to break, something to take your mind off riding. In my opinion, they're a frivolous distraction.
you reminded me that one of the worse crashes i've had was the day i got that old computer and was watching it trying to get above a certain speed when i trail turned and i ran into the flat side of a big rock. it hurt.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I have the Enduro 8. I think almost all but the very cheapest models have at least a 2 bike option.

They was to go if your MTBing... The Cateye Enduro uses a much thicker wire, and more secure harness, than a lot of other computers. The Specialized Turbo Elite is an excellent comp. Its got a back-light too, which is great. The plug in cadence sensor is poo sticks tho. I just run mine with wireless speed.

ANdrew

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
The Toninator said:
The main reason I believe the gear indicator is there is because the flight deck system uses virtual cadence which is calculated off of Gear and speed. This way it cuts down on wiring and extra sensors and stuff that easily gets messed up. I think.
Can somebody give this man a hug? DING DING. Hes right. It uses gear ratio and your current speed to calculate virtual cadence.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Also the biggest advantage they have over other computers, if used with shimano shifters is, the controls are integrated into the shifter pods so you dont have to take your hands off of the shifters to toggle through the menu’s.
That’s a pretty big bonus.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
=[Stinky]= said:
Can somebody give this man a hug? DING DING. Hes right. It uses gear ratio and your current speed to calculate virtual cadence.
Thats cool :cool:

But wouldnt crank length have somthing to do with it too? Do yuo program in your crank length?

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
BigMike said:
Thats cool :cool:

But wouldnt crank length have somthing to do with it too? Do yuo program in your crank length?

Crank length shouldn't have anything to do with calculating cadence, if you have the gear ratio and tire circumference determined, but I imagine it would have a lot to do with calculating Watts.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
=[Stinky]= said:
They was to go if your MTBing... The Cateye Enduro uses a much thicker wire, and more secure harness, than a lot of other computers. The Specialized Turbo Elite is an excellent comp. Its got a back-light too, which is great. The plug in cadence sensor is poo sticks tho. I just run mine with wireless speed.

ANdrew
But for mostly MTB use, I should stick with wired computers right? Especially since I don't pass many jumps up.
I think I'm more confused than before. First I thought get a computer, because you've been working on times and keeping speed up. Then it was go wireless, less to mess with. Then go wired, because wireless is unreliable. Then screw it you wuss, just kick ars and ride, their too distracting, and you might as well talk on your cell phone while riding. Now I'm back to hey that specialized isn't a bad deal after all. :nuts:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
JSB said:
But for mostly MTB use, I should stick with wired computers right? Especially since I don't pass many jumps up.
I think I'm more confused than before. First I thought get a computer, because you've been working on times and keeping speed up. Then it was go wireless, less to mess with. Then go wired, because wireless is unreliable. Then screw it you wuss, just kick ars and ride, their too distracting, and you might as well talk on your cell phone while riding. Now I'm back to hey that specialized isn't a bad deal after all. :nuts:

If you'd like my suggestion, get a wired computer, make it nice and secure, reset it before every ride, and forget about it until you are done. I have a cyclecomputer on my Cross bike, because it is what I use to keep in shape. Reset the thing before I ride, check my mileage, time, and avg speed when I am done. (Sure, sometimes I take a quick glance down to check speed, but I dont rely on it enough to become distracting)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Yossarian said:
Crank length shouldn't have anything to do with calculating cadence, if you have the gear ratio and tire circumference determined, but I imagine it would have a lot to do with calculating Watts.
or if you have crank arm lenght, teeth and speed you wouldnt need tire circumference.
i didnt set mine up so i dont know.