Quantcast

Computing for idiots: not talking about me

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I spent umpteen hours at my friend's house diagnosing viruses, formatting drives, and installing O/S (and I am still not done).

Besides having an Vietnamese exchange student surfing Pacific Rim chatrooms, these people are so clueless they still use AOL even though they switched to Comcast cable.

I am trying to decide to convince them to buy a Mac Mini, Norton Internet Security and set it up on full lockdown mode, or install linux and just administer their machine remotely.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Format drive and install Ubuntu 8.04 and leave the admin account for your use only. There is plenty of decent software and even free commercial software now on Ubuntu like Google Earth, Picassa, Adobe Flash. Much cheaper than your option

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why Norton?

Fvcking agent of satan is what it is.
Trust me, I hate Norton, and when I worked for Symantec, the other engineers advised me to use AVG, which I do.

From what I understand about Norton, besides that it is a pain to install and a huge drain on resources, it does secure your computer extremely well.

For these people, dragging down system performance is a necessary trade off for hands-off security.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
true; it seems that as soon as i need to use another basic feature (like play a bleedin dvd), i have to install yet another liberry