Quantcast

Concord, Massachusetts happenings

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
how polite. maybe 15 years ago, guys putting in a trail (with many wooden features, etc) up at wilson creek (grandfather district of pisgah) were arrested, bikes confiscated, fined, and banned from the forest for life.

how polite. maybe 15 years ago, guys putting in a trail (with many wooden features, etc) up at wilson creek (grandfather district of pisgah) were arrested, bikes confiscated, fined, and banned from the forest for life.
The article they wrote about it said that the ban was for five years, as I recall... I'm trying to find the exact location of the cited parcels out of curiosity.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The article they wrote about it said that the ban was for five years, as I recall... I'm trying to find the exact location of the cited parcels out of curiosity.
yes, maybe not lifetime...there's mentions of it on RM. was a group called the hick hucksters. the judge was a cyclist. location was roughly here: Dropped pin
Near Upper Creek, NC

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So how this goes down at my job is that failure to reply often means non-cooperation and they'll pursue an enforcement case "to the full extent of the law". If you contact them within that time, they may lessen the penalty, make it a fine or whatever, but the last sentence can obviously cover a wide range of "steps". No one wants to self-incriminate either. That's also usually what they try to discuss at the "next steps", where it's wise to say as little as possible, but if they truly don't have anything or you truly have an explanation, it's also wise to put that out there, since it can squash it relatively early on. Usually at such a meeting they will discuss the evidence. They are also usually skilled investigators with a slew of questions ready. It may be a good thing to hire a lawyer for. If I were in the same situation, I'd at least contact "Delia" and have her explain the letter to you. Be as vague as possible. Say you'd like an explanation of it and what it means and how it's resolved. Don't go into specifics about the event or details of the alleged action at all. Just what their processes are and what they mean. Hell, ask them what "steps" means. That would probably be my #1 question. If they are being intentionally vague or misleading, be sure to capture that in your own signed statement (write such statement as close as possible to when you have this conversation).

They sent the letter certified return receipt and regular mail, which means even if you didn't sign for the one copy, they would presume that you've been served based on not having the regular mail version returned, which sounds to me like they want to assess a civil penalty. Be wary of the lawyers too, sometimes they'll play this "well, I'll tell the Town to put all their correspondence to me"-game and the official entity (Town) has no inclination or requirement to do so, so they just keep sending to you and it ends up looking like you are not cooperative, which they check off as an aggravating factor and up the penalty, vs. the lawyer actually talking to them on your behalf and trying to seek out a more beneficial outcome.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I would do what they say and use it as an opportunity to start the how to go legit conversation. Alot depends on any prior relationships or interactions. Thats the way the cookie crumbles. Unauthorized trail building is inherently risky.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's fast mail service if it was typed out, mailed and delivered on the same day.

Would be interesting to know how they pinned it down to him. Got reported? Reported and social media evidence?

At least he doesnt have a bylaw officer or police knocking on his door with a large ticket, while a bulldozer is flattening whatever he did and destroying his tools. That's what would happen up here in most cases (after a stern warning to gtfo)...

Also why if you're building jumps or anything like that, ya really have to do it in a spot that doesnt have any sort of regular traffic. You'll eventually get caught...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's fast mail service if it was typed out, mailed and delivered on the same day.
Mail is pretty damn fast for something that's just going local, like next day. 5 business days is pretty lousy though (to respond). I usually see 7 or 10 more often.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Mail is pretty damn fast for something that's just going local, like next day. 5 business days is pretty lousy though (to respond). I usually see 7 or 10 more often.
Efficiency I guess.

I've seen tracked mail to the same city, leave to another city, and then come back.

Update:

"The Natural Resources Director, Delia Kaye, is the person who sent the letter to the guy who built the trail.

She later learned that the Trails Committee had told him it would be OK to build a dirt bike trail.

She is miffed because she says there is a sacred principal that all town owned land must be open to everybody. So, facilities only accessible to a minority are not allowed."