Quantcast

Conditions for Rocky Knob

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That's what I thought. No trip up the hill today.

Did a night ride there a few weeks ago. That place is a blast in the dark. Rode that switch back, rock garden section for the first time, not easy. :D

Agras

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Happy new year ya'll. Is RKP open year long? Or do they shut it down based on conditions? Thinking of riding it in mid Feb.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
It really depends on the weather. When it gets bad enough, the county official will "close" the park, but that is only in the winter months. Rocky Knob tops out at around 4000' so it gets pretty torn up from the freeze/thaw action all winter. Adding to that, 1/2 the park is north facing so it doesn't dry out as fast. Play it by ear in February, because you never know, but I wouldn't plan on it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The freeze/thaw cycle is brutal. On the Windrock XC trail all the north facing stuff stays frozen pretty much all winter. It's the south facing stuff that gets the worst of it.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
You can hike there. The trails have signs for what direction to hike and what direction to ride, the jump trail is off limits for hikers. There are some really smart people who like to run with headphones in, it's only a matter of time until there is an accident.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Douchebags in Bent Creek run by you with eyes averted like they're listening to Charles Manson, motivational speaker. Not sure what it is about exercisers and riders with headphones on in the forest, but it creeps me the heck out!:think:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So, is that place purpose built for bikes? No hikers allowed? Or is it a multi-use area in some form?
Purpose built for bikes, but hiking is allowed in certain directions and on certain trails. Not many people hike there though. Butch, its been there for 2 years now, and is one of the coolest things that NC has going right now for bikes, and you still don't know the 411 on it, whats up with that? Get out there and ride. No excuses.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Butch if you have not rode Rocky Knob you are missing a awesome trail in NC. I've rode their and its a sweat trail system. I will be riding their everytime we hit Beech for now on.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
For those who don't know, Rocky Knob is closed right now due to freeze/thaw conditions. We're in the middle of our second day of rain and have cold weather coming back soon, so I would not expect the Knob to be open for the Winter.

headwaters

Chimp
Mar 30, 2011
Boone, NC
All trails at the Knob are in great shape. They tidied up any erosion damage from the winter and improved a lot of spots that had water drainage issues. The parking lot is busy now with improvements so parking is limited.