Quantcast

Confused about Chain Tensioners

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm doing a budget build up on a Azonic DS1 frame, I'll be running it single speed with a standard QR rear hub. I would like to run a BMX style chain tensioner but they are all for 3/8" or 14mm BMX axles. Are there any BMX style Chain tensioners that will work with a QR axle?

And yes, I know about Tensioners like DMR makes, but I don't want one like that, plus I'll be running a thicker BMX chain.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Remove some spacers from your axle to expose more stub on either side and you can use regular bmx tensioners on the inside of your dropouts.
Yep. Or you could simply replace the QR with a solid axle.

No, you don't need two tensioners. You really only need it for the drive side. But, I like to use two. It looks more uniform and it helps prevent slippage on both sides.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yep. Or you could simply replace the QR with a solid axle.

No, you don't need two tensioners. You really only need it for the drive side. But, I like to use two. It looks more uniform and it helps prevent slippage on both sides.
Could someone show me a solid axle that will work with a Ringle Abbah QR rear hub?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i went through the same issues with a dmr hub i had, and there's basicly nothing you can do... get a nutted rear hub, then you can run tensioners.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
You should be able to loosen the QR ends (they're threaded on), take out that QR axle. Then replace it with a larger axle, cone nuts, jam nuts and lock nuts. But I just can't be positive on which cone nut to buy.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
How about spec ordering a Grd9 bolt/nut same size as your QR shaft? You could wail the piss out of it and you shouldn't really have to work about it breaking. I'm running a grade 9 12mm bolt in my Riot for my Ringle Abbah hub. I milled it down to 10mm in two places to fit into my dropouts and have run pegs with it and not even a sign of it bending.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
How about spec ordering a Grd9 bolt/nut same size as your QR shaft? You could wail the piss out of it and you shouldn't really have to work about it breaking. I'm running a grade 9 12mm bolt in my Riot for my Ringle Abbah hub. I milled it down to 10mm in two places to fit into my dropouts and have run pegs with it and not even a sign of it bending.
I like where your head is at. It'll prolly take a lil searching to find a 9mm grade 9 bolt though...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Do you have a Fastenal company around there? If so, you should be able to just stand behind the counter in the ac and stare at the book girl's round little bottom while the guy with the funny mustachio searches for your bolt.