Quantcast

Confused

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
So riding today, i hear a weird sound from my drivetrain. So I get a hold of Loco for a diagnosis from what i can describe to him. He says it sounds like 1 of 3 things. 1) A Bent chain ring ( Ive eliminated that) 2) Bent Cog or 3) Bent chain link. I don't have a stand at school with me, so I'm lost as to how to go about eye balling if i have a bent link. Theres sooo many of them...

Any help would be appreciated. Sarcasm welcome.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Step #1: rotate the cranks backward and watch for the rear der. to "pop"

Where it pops is where the bent link is, if there is one.

Step #2: Disassociate from loco immediately

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
So, I rotated the crank backwards, and got no distinct "pop" in my rear der. Ive gone through the whole chain(I think) and im not finding a "tight" link.

I may be bike retarded. But this is why Im new to the game

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why not describe the sound to us?

Maybe it's a creaky saddle? I know, weird, but oddly likely.

Maybe it's a loose bottom bracket and you're feeling it more than hearing it?

Maybe you're crazy and we can get n8 to confirm?

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Ummm... Like chain rub but louder, and.... stronger? like i can feel something catch in my pedal stroke through the cranks..if that makes sense
^^^^^

Note, the sound is only heard when theres torque on the drive train. When I hold it up and spin it with my hands i hear nothing but smooth running.... AHHH

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
^^^^^

Note, the sound is only heard when theres torque on the drive train. When I hold it up and spin it with my hands i hear nothing but smooth running.... AHHH
Oh right, you did describe it. Sorry, drinking yummy wine, got a half bottle into me so far.

So yeah, maybe a ring, cog, or chain. But also maybe BB?

Is it doing it in every gear or just a specific one?

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Oh right, you did describe it. Sorry, drinking yummy wine, got a half bottle into me so far.

So yeah, maybe a ring, cog, or chain. But also maybe BB?

Is it doing it in every gear or just a specific one?
Haha! its all good.

Umm.. Its more apparent in some more than others, more noticeable in the middle ring, upper 4 Cogs

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Loco should be able to swap a ring and ring only. If he says a whole new crank or bike, he's upselling.

PS: This is my Friday. I'm off tomorrow :D

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Loco should be able to swap a ring and ring only. If he says a whole new crank or bike, he's upselling.

PS: This is my Friday. I'm off tomorrow :D
Rock on. He won't upsell me. He's honest. So it should be smooth sailing. Now to wait til i get home in 2 weeks. Im not going to get screwed by some snob shop in the Houston area!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Rock on. He won't upsell me. He's honest. So it should be smooth sailing. Now to wait til i get home in 2 weeks. Im not going to get screwed by some snob shop in the Houston area!
Yeah, just wait and get screwed by Loco. Don't tell his wife, she doesn't share well.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Check the linkage/rearend bolts to make sure everything is tight.

Check for burrs on the chainrings.

Middle ring/outer cogs could also have something to do with a bent big ring.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I looked at this on Friday and couldn't find anything bent. I could make it pop when shifting, but it wouldn't when I wasn't. That tells me it's most likely chain or cassette. The chain was supa dry and sandy. After a good bit of lube it seemed to act better. I think Darrell was going to ride today, so we'll see if that fixed it.

Sand = bad for drive trains. :plthumbsdown: