Quantcast

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW DUMBER

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Not sure Larry Opinionator told the story he was aimin' at.

No racer is going to ride something they are not comfortable on. That's just bullshit. How many sharpied Maxxis tires on were racers on only even a few years ago? How many custom links and shock tunes are pros on to get what they need to win races?

He (whoops!) left out that Moir sat out the entire off season recovering from shoulder surgery and didn't have time to adjust to anything new. Not surprising he wanted something similar to his old bike when he basically rolled into this EWS season cold.

Greg tried a larger sized bike how many years ago? And now he's forty fuckin' years old and needs something else? You don't say!

Stiff bikes work for pros because pros are going way faster than your average forum complainer. None of us are going to run a bike like that. Watch any Fox Dialed vid -- riders click and clack all over the place while Jordi waits for them to get up to pace and end up right back where they started.

So what we end up with is a blog post by someone getting paid by the view, so make the title shiny and clickable and watch some shithead on another forum add more fuel to the fire by writing about it. (Me, I'm talking about, I'm the shithead in this scenario)

You know who'da figured this out? Fuckin' Beta editors who know how to tell a story.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I mean the article went on about 10x longer than it needed to, but the key points are right.
1) just because Jack Moir (who'd ride a size L by Canyon's size chart) rides a S, doesn't mean you should downsize 2 sizes also
2) just because literally almost every pro rides their suspension crazy firm by normal standards, doesn't mean you should too
They are, after all, pros, riding way faster and harder than anyone who is clueless enough about bike setup that they'd consider copying a random pro rider's setup blindly.

They didn't even get into how most pros run like 27-30 psi in their tires (with DH casing and inserts).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So should I ride the bikes the pros ride or the one media shills tell me to ride? Someone please tell me who I should mindlessly listen to!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Fat ebikes
Ugh,
A guy I work with just got a fat city commuter e bike.
What a fucking atrocity....
Has some knockoff hydraulic 2 pistons on 180mm rotors with organic pads
75lb pos stops like wet rim brakes... or sram guides....

He's got the fat part covered already...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ugh,

I hope he joins the forum.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ugh,

there's a shit ton of those around now. I cross paths with one of them pretty much every morning on the multi-use path as I walk my kids to school. the speeds he's moving at terrify me. I think he's an accident waiting to happen.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
there's a shit ton of those around now. I cross paths with one of them pretty much every morning on the multi-use path as I walk my kids to school. the speeds he's moving at terrify me. I think he's an accident waiting to happen.
Yeah I'd really like to see a Darwin branded E-Bike, E-Bikes seem to get insanely stupid people in to situations that they wouldn't have been able to get in to previously, I cringe and giggle quite a bit when watching E-bikers "ride".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Yeah there are tons of those around here. Usually ridden by someone closer to 60 whose last bicycle came with training wheels now riding at 25 MPH in a busy city.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I mean the article went on about 10x longer than it needed to, but the key points are right.
1) just because Jack Moir (who'd ride a size L by Canyon's size chart) rides a S, doesn't mean you should downsize 2 sizes also
2) just because literally almost every pro rides their suspension crazy firm by normal standards, doesn't mean you should too
They are, after all, pros, riding way faster and harder than anyone who is clueless enough about bike setup that they'd consider copying a random pro rider's setup blindly.

They didn't even get into how most pros run like 27-30 psi in their tires (with DH casing and inserts).
1 - told you not to click it

2 - remember back in 2008 when rachel and lord bummer both won the world champs, and fox released a limited edition 40 and dhx rc2 with the stiffer compression tune that the pros were using? yea, a bunch of those quickly hit the classifieds because the normal joeys that bought that discovered they were way too stiff

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can ride a stiffer compression setup IF the goddamn circuits work like they are supposed to. Most MTB suspension: Doesn't work like it should.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I like to think the stuff the pros ride is relevant to me because I probably weigh between 40 and 60lbs more than they do... (so the forces I put through the frame, suspension and wheels are getting up there... that's my theory anyways).

But another factor that wasn't discussed is pros can afford to break stuff and replace it as needed, especially during training. That might not be great during a race, but I'm sure they killing stuff at home all the time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But another factor that wasn't discussed is pros can afford to break stuff and replace it as needed, especially during training. That might not be great during a race, but I'm sure they killing stuff at home all the time.
also the i CaN RiDe My EnDuRo BiKe As HaRd As A dH bIkE crowd.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seb's stuff is usually pretty switched on.
That may be the case but I've found the boy to be massively blinkered towards any sort of mountain biking he himself doesn't do.
Might read it later. But most of his in depth thoughts and over the top analysation are pretty irrelevant to the riding I do/enjoy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Skim read. And jumped forwards to the conclusion.

Fuck off Seb.(actually don't) but
his very last sentence was all that was needed!

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF it's absolutely your own choice to run as low (or lower) pressures as a pro racer does and that still seems to be the main reason most hacks write off perfectly strong rims.