Quantcast

Congressman resigns after e-mails questioned

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
why N8 sounds stupid when typing a post on RM:
I think its a very good point. The reality is that its very much sickening when both sides try to preach from some moral high ground.

sysdasti said:
Yeah its better when politicians want legal torture for "terrorist" children in gitmo and bomb children in Iraq for freedom/oil instead
What the f' does that have to do with what he said?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Second speaker in a year to have scandal cost him his job. Well Hasert hasn't lost his job yet but you gotta figure that he won't survive a challenge if he doesn't step down OR loses in the election in November.

That's some intergity there.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seriously, can you guys even try and have an election campaign without filling it with irrelevant BS?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
according to the oklahoman, the page with whom foley was IM-ing has been named , and is currently 21 years old.

-------

so:
---

is this still a scandal?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
$tinkle said:
is this still a scandal?
Maybe you should try reading the article, it helps:bonk:

On that Web page, he identified himself as being 21 years old and said he had been attending college at the University of California, Berkeley. He also identified himself as a House page from September 2001 to June 2002. He would have been 16 and 17 then. He said he was going to Oklahoma to be deputy campaign manager for Istook’s gubernatorial effort, according to the Web site.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seriously, can you guys even try and have an election campaign without filling it with irrelevant BS?
No one would show up to vote on real issues let alone understand what they were voting for, they would have to hand out Larry The Cable guy DVD's to get people to show up.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
syadasti said:
Maybe you should try reading the article, it helps
and when did these "transmissions" (for lack of better word) take place?

from the first linked article in this here thread:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rep. Mark Foley, R-Florida, resigned from Congress on Friday, effective immediately, in the wake of questions about e-mails he wrote a former male page.

Campaign aides had previously acknowledged that the Republican congressman e-mailed the former Capitol page five times, but had said there was nothing inappropriate about the exchange. The page was 16 at the time of the e-mail correspondence.

The correspondence took place in August 2005 after the boy gave Foley a handwritten thank you note before returning to Louisiana.
and from another linked article in this thread:
House Speaker Dennis Hastert Monday denied that anyone in the GOP leadership knew about sexually explicit instant messages Foley allegedly exchanged with former male pages in 2003.
so you see, there is indeed some confusion. is there another/different page?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
It's much easier to vote on emotion than it is to vote on the actual person's position on issues of real social value. That's why all this BS is strewn about around election time.

"Do you really want Mr. X, who got arrested for a DUI 10 years ago, to be your Representative?? Do you!!??!?"

"Do you really want Mrs. Y, who got busted for possession 15 years ago, to be your Representative?? Huh??!?"

How do they stand on issue B? the same....well there's gotta be something we can dredge up to make X look better than Y....so there ya have it....f*ckin' dumb.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
$tinkle said:
from the first linked article in this here thread:and from another linked article in this thread:so you see, there is indeed some confusion. is there another/different page?
The quote you pasted does indeed say page(s)

House Speaker Dennis Hastert Monday denied that anyone in the GOP leadership knew about sexually explicit instant messages Foley allegedly exchanged with former male pages in 2003.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yes, many in fact. I already linked to a WaPo on this. See here.
not what i meant.
what i meant was "with how many pages did foley have sexually explicit email/IMs".

it seems there are 2: a lad from the bijou (this one 16 and a former page at the time) & one from oklahoma (18 and a former page at the time).

either way, dude's gotta go.

oh, npr timeline

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
not what i meant.
what i meant was "with how many pages did foley have sexually explicit email/IMs".

it seems there are 2: a lad from the bijou (this one 16 and a former page at the time) & one from oklahoma (18 and a former page at the time).

either way, dude's gotta go.

oh, npr timeline
I don't know the exact number, but it is certainly plural.

Here's more from the WaPo on what Hastert knew.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/04/AR2006100400616.html

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, fat bastard denny is really pissing me off, & it doesn't help that i'm a parent & i hate rich, powerful, fat people.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
according to the oklahoman, the page with whom foley was IM-ing has been named , and is currently 21 years old.

-------

so:
---

is this still a scandal?

ABC ONLINE GLITCH LEADS TO IDENTITY OF FOLEY ACCUSER

FAMOUS IM EXCHANGE WAS WITH 18 YEAR OLD

Wed Oct 04 2006 20:32:06 ET

A posting on ABCNEWS.COM of an unredacted instant message sessions between Rep. Mark Foley and a former congressional page has exposed the identity of the now 21 year-old accuser.

The website PASSIONATE AMERICA detailed the startling exposure late Wednesday.

ABCNEWS said in a statement: "We go to great lengths to prevent the names of alleged sex crime victims from being revealed. On Friday there was a very brief technical glitch on our site which was overridden immediately."

But the PASSIONATE AMERICA webmaster tells the OKLAHOMAN that "he stumbled onto the former page's AOL screen name when looking at transcripts of the instant messages on ABC's Web site Saturday. He said he typed a slightly-different Web address into his browser and found a version of the transcript with the screen name. He claims the AOL name of the young man was still on ABCNEWS.COM before he posted his story on Wednesday.

The AOL name of the young man was kept unredacted and housed on ABCNEWS.COM servers for 5 days! The information could be publicly accessed.

SEX CHAT WAS WITH 18 YEAR OLD

On Tuesday ABC news released a high-impact instant message exchange between Foley and, as ABC explained, a young man "under the age of 18."

ABC headlined the story: "New Foley Instant Messages; Had Internet Sex While Awaiting House Vote"

But upon reviewing the records, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned, the young man was in fact over the age of 18 at the time of the exchange.

A network source explains, messages with the young man and disgraced former Congressman Foley took place before and after the 18th birthday.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh goodie... there is now going to be a probe into the whole affair. I sure hope they get to the bottom of the thing and finger the perpetrators.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

CLAIM: FILTHY FOLEY ONLINE MESSAGES WERE PAGE PRANK GONE AWRY
**World Exclusive**
**Must Credit the DRUDGE REPORT**

According to two people close to former congressional page Jordan Edmund, the now famous lurid AOL Instant Message exchanges that led to the resignation of Mark Foley were part of an online prank that by mistake got into the hands of enemy political operatives, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal.

According to one Oklahoma source who knows the former page very well, Edmund, a conservative Republican, goaded Foley to type embarrassing comments that were then shared with a small group of young Hill politicos. The prank went awry when the saved IM sessions got into the hands of political operatives favorable to Democrats. This source, an ally of Edmund, also adamantly proclaims that the former page is not a homosexual. The prank scenario was confirmed by a second associate of Edmund.

The news come on the heels that former FBI Chief Louis Freeh has been named to investigate the mess.

Developing...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Looks like this is spot on:

Hastert: 'The people who want to see this thing blow up are ABC News and a lot of Democratic operatives, people funded by George Soros'...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Looks like this is spot on:

Hastert: 'The people who want to see this thing blow up are ABC News and a lot of Democratic operatives, people funded by George Soros'...
And I'm sure all the pages that have come forward (who worked for both parties) are democratic operatives. Nice one.