Quantcast

conked out at beacon

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
well i took my brother, an athletic kid but with no real riding experience, to beacon on tuesday. WE hiked all the way to the top hoping to help him find a good spot for him to ride his hardtail down. The kid followed me down some gaps and went down a ledge. at the bottom of the run I looked back but couldnt see him. I just hoped he didnt bite it at the top. I called him and no answer. SO I rode back up about half way to find him standing on a boulder with his bike in the dirt. So to cut it short he asked me the same questions over and over for about an hour, he couldnt even get on his bike. So after that I took him to the ER only to realize that he was unconsious for around 10 seconds and he didnt know what he did that day at all!! So i think he has some time to recover but what an experience. After that I did the brotherly thing as to drive him home and go back ridin.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
kahner89 said:
well i took my brother, an athletic kid but with no real riding experience, to beacon on tuesday. WE hiked all the way to the top hoping to help him find a good spot for him to ride his hardtail down. The kid followed me down some gaps and went down a ledge. at the bottom of the run I looked back but couldnt see him. I just hoped he didnt bite it at the top. I called him and no answer. SO I rode back up about half way to find him standing on a boulder with his bike in the dirt. So to cut it short he asked me the same questions over and over for about an hour, he couldnt even get on his bike. So after that I took him to the ER only to realize that he was unconsious for around 10 seconds and he didnt know what he did that day at all!! So i think he has some time to recover but what an experience. After that I did the brotherly thing as to drive him home and go back ridin.
Concussions are no joke...I've had 3 minor ones and a major in the last 2 years....and there are definitely some blank spots surrounding the events that transpired before and after....Make sure that he doesn't have any feeling of nausea....that indicates you should take him back to the ER! It sounds like he should prolly stay off the bike for about 3-4 weeks...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
you should take him on the XC trails up there for a newbie, there's lots of stuff up there that goes across and around, instead of down.

gg

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
well maybe next time you shouldnt take a new rider to a place that requires an advanced level of riding. let him learn first