Quantcast

Considering a Trek EX 9...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I started my first real mountain bike experience on an XC hardtail about 5 years ago, and later desided I wanted to do freeride and downhill more so I bought a Specialized bighit 2 years ago. Well, at 16 years old I now work at a bike shop and am allowed one bike at EP (huge discount). I've been looking into getting my first road bike (my only bike right now is the Bighit) so I can commute to work and what not, not to mention get a good work out, but I cant see how much I would use it other then getting to work...and I'm not sure if I really want to wear all sorts of roadie stuff to work, only to have to change it (And stuff I would have to buy anyhow, meaning more money). Anyhow, I think a cross country bike would make more sence for me, so I can ride to work, ride the trails, and use it to get to the mountain and take photos of my friends (I'm a photographer) when I dont feel like hucking.

So here's my problem, do you guys think a Trek EX 9 would fit my needs? I test rode the EX 8 at my shop and liked how it felt, but I'd like to have sram, X9 or up, and I like XT cranks reputation, and I also dont want to deal with carbon frame stuff, so the EX 9 seemed like the best option.

But I also like some of the Specialized bikes out there, like Stumpjumper FSRs and Epics are nice, but coming from 8 inches of sqwish in the rear, the Epic just feels to much like a hardtail for me...not to mention to racerish.

So yeah, what are your thoughs on a bike I can commute to work on, ride some hardcore XC trails *I'll probly throw some small jumps and drops in there*, and just an all around light solid bike alternative to my bighit?

Thanks!!!!!!

*P.S. feel free to add in anything you like, since I work at a shop selling bikes, its good to know extra tid-bits on bikes*

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well carbon fiber has specific torque specifications and what not on things like the wheels, pivots, and Seat-post...and with alluminum I can just crank things snug, and not worry, with carbon fiber, I have to make sure I tensioned things right and what not.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
Im not positive about this, but Im pretty sure Aluminum, Steel, etc... all have torque specifications too. I wouldnt let that deter me from a carbon frame. just out of curiosity, are you not going to run carbon bars either?

matt

TheLoneRider

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Ellicott City, MD
Carbon on has specific torque settings on things that either clamp around carbon or thread into carbon. The frame has no effect on clamping around seat post... that is determined wheter or not you have a crappy carbon seat post. Most high end trek mountain bikes come with the ACC carbon post that has an aluminum sleeve inside the entire post so there is no need to worry about crushing it. I rode the 2008 EX 9.5 at trek world and jumped it several times and it felt great. I took it off ladder drops Things like pivots bolts have lock-tite on them so you generally don't have to worry about those coming loose. I ride a hard tail cross-county bike with carbon bars, cranks, seat post and working in the shop on trek madones with all the carbon in then and the only thing you ever need to worry about is the bontrager carbon stem because it is metal screws going into threaded carbon with no aluminum insert.

If you have any questions about mechanical or materials let me know. The new 08' EX's are fantastic.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well carbon fiber has specific torque specifications and what not on things like the wheels, pivots, and Seat-post...and with alluminum I can just crank things snug, and not worry, with carbon fiber, I have to make sure I tensioned things right and what not.
All high-end parts are going to have torque specs. Working at a shop, you're going to have carbon bikes/parts coming through the shop in need of repair, and having your own to work on will help you become a better mechanic. Or are you not going to be doing any repairs? Either way, riding the carbon one will also make you a more knowledgeable salesman, so that's something to consider. The only problem with carbon I can see would be th increased cost.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well I just think the Aluminum over all will be more durable for me, since I just wont worry much with it. Carbon parts are fine because I know for mountain bikes they are made super stiff and what not, I'm just worried about the frame. I suppose I could get a carbon frame but I'm not sure I want to spend 2 grand more on a carbon frame (well "2 grand" more).

And I'm a sale's man, so I dont do much on the bikes other then adjust things for customers...but very rarely.

I'm still debating though, the EX 9 seems super solid though, and I know XT cranks are good and strong, and since I'll hit rocks once in awhile, I know I can trust them.

I have 3 months till I can even consider ordering one though (at EP) so no rush.

P.S. my shop has the '08 EX8, thats the only one I've tried and it was only in a parking lot...but I loved the feel.