Quantcast

Considering Android

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
If anyone is using Android 2.1 and is willing to see if an app works, please send me a PM. I have no way to test multi-touch features on an emulator. I'll hook you up with something in return.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Part 1/2: I'm at the apple store in Boston, where i played with the iPhone 4 for a solid half hour while my depleted 3G recharged. Impressions: quick interface and an unbelievably crisp display when looking at small text.

Now it's time to mosey down the street to the local Best Buy that sells Verizon phones in order to try out the Droid X on the same tasks.

[typed on an apple store iPad]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At verizon. Best buy customer service was horrible and they didn't have any droid x or htc evo demo units. I don't really like swype as it takes you out of context too often when it doesn't recognize the whole word. Interface decisions just seem odd.

No thanks!

I think it will be an iphone 4 for me

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
At verizon. Best buy customer service was horrible and they didn't have any droid x or htc evo demo units. I don't really like swype as it takes you out of context too often when it doesn't recognize the whole word. Interface decisions just seem odd.

No thanks!

I think it will be an iphone 4 for me
i shut that off on my evo.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm going to turn swype off and on as I want it. I actually really like it for some text entry. I just typed this on it...

And I don't hate elegance, I just hate being told what to do.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well it is only an incremental update. I've noticed a pretty significant increase in speed in some applications. Also, widget locker and launcher pro plus are pretty awesome.

I do enjoy swype though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's pretty sweet.

I wonder if it's going to support real multitasking, or if it's going to play nice with the Apple-restricted way of suspending itself and restricting access to a few APIs?

Oh yeah, and: yay for chasing down jailbreaks every time there's a freakin' software update in order to get functionality of your phone back that you've come to rely on.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's pretty sweet.

I wonder if it's going to support real multitasking, or if it's going to play nice with the Apple-restricted way of suspending itself and restricting access to a few APIs?

Oh yeah, and: yay for chasing down jailbreaks every time there's a freakin' software update in order to get functionality of your phone back that you've come to rely on.
It can multitask however you desire depending on your prefs and whether or not you have Backgrounder installed as well: http://www.multifl0w.com/faq.php

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah Froyo loaded Wednesday morning, not sure it was as much as I had hoped.
Well it is only an incremental update. I've noticed a pretty significant increase in speed in some applications. Also, widget locker and launcher pro plus are pretty awesome.

I do enjoy swype though.
wait for gingerbread (3.0). Supposedly going to be some drastic updates, as well as a UI overhaul. I've heard availability dates from late q4 to 2011q1

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why would you have expected that?
Probably because it's a leaked beta copy of the OS off a developer's phone and is known to have a myriad of other bugs...

I noticed no problem with my screen with FroYo, though. As a matter of fact, I had zero bugs that I found with the few days I used FroYo. It was smooth and fast.

I am back on stock 2.1 because some apps aren't compatible with FroYo yet and they just released iBird Pro a manly sports application that I wanted.

I like this phone a little more every day. Once I broke my habits that I developed while using the iPhone, I've run into very few quirks and the phone runs smooth and fast so far. Battery life is excellent - better than my iPhone, and I've got a spare battery for times when I may not be near a charger or may not want to bring one.

Every once in a while I think, "durr, that was a stupid way to handle this" but I thought that about some of the iPhone's choices too, so I guess it's not out of line.

Really happy with this phone. It's got a great screen, and as a purely tactile thing, the build quality feels WAY better than my 3GS, just solid and well built and the soft touch plastic is great.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Froyo update came through yesterday. Battery burns much faster now. So, yeah. Psyched about that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Froyo update came through yesterday. Battery burns much faster now. So, yeah. Psyched about that.
:confused: Sarcasm? Burns much faster == good?

On the original topic of the thread, I think I'll at least fondle a Samsung Galaxy Tab before springing for an iPhone 4. (My wife's iPhone 4 is already on order, pending Apple actually fulfilling it.)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368653,00.asp

7" capacitive multitouch display with 1024x600 pixels (unlike the crappy 7" Dell Streak at it's paltry 800x480), 3G + Wifi, phone functionality via speakerphone or Bluetooth, Froyo albeit with Samsung's Touchwiz skin. Weighs half of the iPad although much bulkier and heavier than an iPhone 4, for sure :rofl: Oh, and it has front- and back-facing cameras, like the iPhone but in distinction to the camera-less iPad...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Sarcasm, yes. HTC Incredible battery's ****ing flat in 7 hours with one phone call and a few emails/texts, and me with no charger at my office (ok, cube).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think HTC really dropped the ball on the Incredible's battery. Considered an aftermarket battery? I sprung for the extended battery for my Droid X but it was mostly because I got it for a great price and it adds virtually nothing to the size of the device. I get pretty stellar battery life.

Toshi, the tab looks pretty sweet. In lieu of a cell phone, though...?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i ws excited for the galaxy tab, but rumors are that its gonna be around $800 for the 16 gig version and just over a grand for the 32 gig :eek:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi, the tab looks pretty sweet. In lieu of a cell phone, though...?
i ws excited for the galaxy tab, but rumors are that its gonna be around $800 for the 16 gig version and just over a grand for the 32 gig :eek:
Holy hell, no way if it's really those prices… how can they justify charging quite a bit more than even (gasp) Apple?! With regard to it replacing my phone: it could. Like I've mentioned I rarely use my iPhone as an actual phone, except in the last few weeks when house (rental) hunting…

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Holy hell, no way if it's really those prices… how can they justify charging quite a bit more than even (gasp) Apple?! With regard to it replacing my phone: it could. Like I've mentioned I rarely use my iPhone as an actual phone, except in the last few weeks when house (rental) hunting…
Well I rarely use my phone as a phone but I just can't see that as the device I carry around with me every day...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The guy in this video pulled it out from a (very big, inner coat) pocket… :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea I'm being skeptical, because the rumors are coming from the EU (UK, Germany). Doesn't really make sense because Samsung is one of the few companies in SE Asia that manufactures electronics - ie owns their own factories.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Probably because it's a leaked beta copy of the OS off a developer's phone and is known to have a myriad of other bugs...
Nope it was the auto update version. I have touch screen problems and it will just kick out of the internet occasion. Still I like the phone.:rolleyes:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I dropped my iphone (edge) yesterday. Was it accidental or on purpose, I never admit cuz the wife may be behind me, but time for a new phone and I'm done with the iPhone. AT&T has actually been really great in my neck of the woods. Any thoughts on the HTC Aria running on Droid 2.1?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Is the battery life still an issue with the Incredible? I am not "considering" Android....I am "getting" Android. Seems that all the specs are better on the Incredible, difference being lack of querty and battery life. WTF dude.