Quantcast

Considering Android

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I dropped my iphone (edge) yesterday. Was it accidental or on purpose, I never admit cuz the wife may be behind me, but time for a new phone and I'm done with the iPhone. AT&T has actually been really great in my neck of the woods. Any thoughts on the HTC Aria running on Droid 2.1?
AT&T has been slow at picking up good Android phones.

The Aria form factor is nice (I actually really liked the size/weight), but the processor is a generation behind and AT&T has blocked loading of applications onto the phone that aren't from the market (which is a great thing about Android - apps can be loaded outside of the market).

Given how quickly the smartphone market is moving these days, buying a phone with a generation-old processor is a hard sell right now. I'm not sure I'd do it.

edit:

I forgot, the Samsung Captivate has landed on AT&T and is probably one of the best smartphones around right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is the battery life still an issue with the Incredible? I am not "considering" Android....I am "getting" Android. Seems that all the specs are better on the Incredible, difference being lack of querty and battery life. WTF dude.
I find I'm actually slower on most hard keyboards than soft keyboards now. Most people adjust pretty quickly.

I think the Inc. is a good phone but battery life is clearly a weakness. However, you're not stuck: if you find your battery is just a little lacking, you can get a 1500 mAh battery, and if you want it to last a lot longer, there's a 2150 mAh battery + new back cover. Both OEM batteries, so they're of high quality. Or, if you want a brick of a phone, I think Seidio makes a giant 3000 or 3500 mAh battery, but that's a little crazy :p

So, you have options if battery life is your concern.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
you know that your blackberry was able to do that natively right?
The Droid X does it natively, too. It actually does one better - it'll act as a WiFi hotspot. But to do it natively, you have to buy Verizon's monthly access service. PDAnet and similar applications will do it free.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I find I'm actually slower on most hard keyboards than soft keyboards now. Most people adjust pretty quickly.

I think the Inc. is a good phone but battery life is clearly a weakness. However, you're not stuck: if you find your battery is just a little lacking, you can get a 1500 mAh battery, and if you want it to last a lot longer, there's a 2150 mAh battery + new back cover. Both OEM batteries, so they're of high quality. Or, if you want a brick of a phone, I think Seidio makes a giant 3000 or 3500 mAh battery, but that's a little crazy :p

So, you have options if battery life is your concern.
After a little more reading last night, it seems that all other things being equal, the larger screen on the Droid X makes it a better device than the Incredible. So now I am leaning towards the X. At this point though I'm probably being nitpicky, as both devices are getting great reviews.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After a little more reading last night, it seems that all other things being equal, the larger screen on the Droid X makes it a better device than the Incredible. So now I am leaning towards the X. At this point though I'm probably being nitpicky, as both devices are getting great reviews.
What's the point of the larger Droid X screen if the resolution's the same? It's all about PPI. That's why I'm excited for the Samsung Galaxy Tab: it actually has a higher resolution to back up the larger physical dimensions.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What's the point of the larger Droid X screen if the resolution's the same? It's all about PPI. That's why I'm excited for the Samsung Galaxy Tab: it actually has a higher resolution to back up the larger physical dimensions.
Being the tech dummy that I am, I rely on feedback and input from so-called experts, and these guys say the larger screen makes a difference.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-6452_7-717.html

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Um, because for a given zoom level, the text is larger... or for a given full screen application, the items are larger... or the keyboard letters are bigger...

There are advantages to a larger screen. It's true that larger resolutions provide advantages as well, but that doesn't mean simply having bigger dimensions isn't useful. The DX screen is the better part of an inch bigger than the iPhone screen and the difference in day-to-day use is substantial.

IAB, I really like my Droid X. Build quality is very good, and I haven't had any real bugs. It's larger than the Incredible, so if you can stop by a Verizon store and play with both, that wouldn't be a bad thing. I thought it was going to be way too big but it's thin, narrow, and my clothes aren't tight so it's really not an issue for me.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It really sucks that we don't seem to have any carriers here that offer the droid. Lots of Android operating systems. But The Droid 2 looks really cool but no-one is offering it here. HTC are the closest I think. My BB maybe has another 6-8 months left in it. iphone doesn't seem too great with handling large amounts of email (syncing with work Outlook). The BB Torch seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Tethering is free if you root your device... which is also free and requires only one click ;)
I use pda net on my droid at home told my G/f that was what she should do for home internet, she went the the verizon store, got a wireless card and is paying more for 5 gigs. a month.

:rolleyes:

I told her to go back and return it, she already (one day) threw out the box and sent in the rebate. :disgust1:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tasker is downright awesome.

It's actually pretty ridiculous.

I just downloaded it last night and I love that I can basically use it as a giant custom settings app. I set up two tasks last night to disable the security lock on the phone when it's connected to my home Wifi, or to my stereo bluetooth headset. When I move away from home Wifi or disconnect the headset, the security lock is right back in place.

Haven't even scratched the surface of it. It can monitor virtually any app launched, event triggered or condition that the phone is in and let you act on it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BV, I saw a demo of that on engadget or gizmodo a while back, definitely appears to be a must have app. Sounds like it takes some time to get a handle on, but allows for epic customization. Like automatically turning the ringer to vibrate or silent when you get to work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV, I saw a demo of that on engadget or gizmodo a while back, definitely appears to be a must have app. Sounds like it takes some time to get a handle on, but allows for epic customization. Like automatically turning the ringer to vibrate or silent when you get to work.
Yeah, I was looking at some of the events that other people have programmed. One guy has his set up to send an automatic SMS to his fiancée asking if she needs any groceries if:

- He is within 2 km of a particular grocery store, and
- He has been to work that day, and
- It is after 1:00

(those conditions indicating that he is coming home from work and is passing by the store, but is not on his lunch break)

Crazy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I bought it from the market for simple ease of use and updates.

I pay for very few apps but something that will basically cause my phone to do exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, completely customizable outside the limits of what the developers of the OS provide... is worth a few bucks.

And yes, it's the UK version for 3.99.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I bought it from the market for simple ease of use and updates.

I pay for very few apps but something that will basically cause my phone to do exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, completely customizable outside the limits of what the developers of the OS provide... is worth a few bucks.

And yes, it's the UK version for 3.99.
Sweet, I have been wondering if it was worth money, now I will try it out.

I just installed Swype, and I'm liking it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, I was looking at some of the events that other people have programmed. One guy has his set up to send an automatic SMS to his fiancée asking if she needs any groceries if:

- He is within 2 km of a particular grocery store, and
- He has been to work that day, and
- It is after 1:00

(those conditions indicating that he is coming home from work and is passing by the store, but is not on his lunch break)

Crazy.
yea, it seems to be one of those programs that the only limit to how powerful it is is how creative the end user is

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Droid 2 is looking purty to me.
ive been waiting for a next-gen phone with a real keyboard. i love everything about my iphone, except the damn small virtual keyboard

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I actually prefer using the iPhone virtual keyboard in portrait orientation. I guess part of that aversion to landscape is losing so much of the screen real estate, not a problem with a slide-out keyboard, but I like the closer layout in general.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I actually prefer using the iPhone virtual keyboard in portrait orientation. I guess part of that aversion to landscape is losing so much of the screen real estate, not a problem with a slide-out keyboard, but I like the closer layout in general.
even in portrait mode, its still too small. my past 3 phones before the iphone had a real qwerty board on it and its so much easier. the iphone's predictive text is hilarious though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I use portrait all the time now because of swype.

I think the Motorola keyboard feels like ass. The HTC G1 keyboard was great - wondering if the G2 will be the same?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I really want someone to come out with a physical portrait keyboard. Liz has the Droid 2 and I find the landscape keyboard to be too big.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I really want someone to come out with a physical portrait keyboard. Liz has the Droid 2 and I find the landscape keyboard to be too big.
Yeah my biggest dislike is the keyboard, The Frankenberryy was great for one hand typing, droid, impossible.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I pickd up a Szamsung epic. It had the second best screen quality next to the iphone but I found the larger screen to be more important than resolution. A real keyboard is a big plus over droid x and htc evo. The only gripe I have is that having real buttons on the faace would be nicer than the touchscreen style buttons

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
good news for future Droid Incredible buyers? more like better news for future Samsung phone buyers
TC and Google must switch the smartphone display from Amoled to LCD. Why? Because Samsung Mobile Display can not deliver so much AMOLEDS for HTC and Google.

Google will use Super TFT LCD (SCLD), this display deliver Sony.

HTC also looks to replace the AMOLED displays of the Desire and the Incredible smart phones because of supply issues regarding the parts produced by Samsung Mobile Display, a local report said.

Samsung need the production capacity because they aggressively pushing the sales for the Galaxy-S with Super-Amoled. At the moment there may be not enough Amoled displays to supply to other companies says Kim Sung in a analyst from Kiwoom Securities.
http://www.oled-display.net/the-smartphones-desire-and-google-nexus-one-from-htc-must-switch-the-display-from-amoled-to-lcd

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's interesting that Nokia just came out with an AMOLED phone and as far as I can tell, nobody is sure who's making the screen for them.

Samsung is about the only game in town for AMOLED, but I doubt Nokia would release a new smartphone series sourcing from an already over-capacity production line. Wonder if they have another vendor?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's interesting that Nokia just came out with an AMOLED phone and as far as I can tell, nobody is sure who's making the screen for them.

Samsung is about the only game in town for AMOLED, but I doubt Nokia would release a new smartphone series sourcing from an already over-capacity production line. Wonder if they have another vendor?
it could be because of a fews things:
-their forecast isnt high enough to warrant a switch to a new-gen lcd
-theyve been allocated their share of amoled screens
-theres another supplier
or
-they might still switch to lcd