Quantcast

Considering Android

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think the Motorola keyboard feels like ass. The HTC G1 keyboard was great - wondering if the G2 will be the same?
i played with the Droid 2 tonight and thought the keyboard was awful. the Iphone in landscape mode was easier to use then their keyboard with the awkward ridges on them. ive had HTC phones with a qwerty keyboard and they were a ton easier to use.

i also didnt like the UI of the phone at all. the Iphone is so much easier to navigate through. i wanted to like the Droid 2 but its definitely not for me.

going to go play with the Iphone 4 to see if thats worth the upgrade instead of just getting a 3GS over my 3G

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IAB, use Appbrain to manage and install applications when you're playing:

www.appbrain.com

You can download the "Appbrain" app from the market on the phone. After that, instead of launching the "Market" to download apps, just launch Appbrain.

Appbrain lets you browse the market on your computer (or your phone), pick apps to install on your phone (from your computer), and it also maintains your app list so if you ever get a new phone or wipe your current phone, you can just automatically initiate a re-download of all of your apps.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Why oh why did the US carriers demand that voice calling be removed… gah.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why oh why did the US carriers demand that voice calling be removed… gah.
That's a damn nice size. I'm not sure how useful Swype is at that size (really, it loses all utility when I just flip my phone to landscape) but... really nice looking. The whole package.

Don't care about the phone function, myself, since I won't carry that to many places where I would want my phone.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just rooted my Droid today and installed the Bugless Beast v0.5 ROM which is super stable and kicks the device up to 800mHz :thumb:

Very cool and a huge performance boost. Anyone happen to have know of any good themes for BB v0.5 since the ROM is more about performance/stability than giving the phone a new look?

May play around with some other kernels to and see if my chipset is on the right side of the yield and can handle a little more overclocking with a lower voltage. Word on the street is that some people are able to rock their Droids around 1.1-1.2 GHz with no ill effects so why not give it a shot and monitor temperatures/power consumption and flash back to the standard kernel if I have to.

BTW, Droid rocks! If you haven't rooted you're phone, you're missing out!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I will cave in and fulfill my destiny by purchasing an iPhone 4 later today. The Galaxy Tab looks like it's going to be really expensive, have rendering problems with vanilla Android applications, and doesn't have voice capabilities so really doesn't meet my needs. Stupid Samsung USA product planners, crippling their product...

I still will keep an eye out for future Android tablets to fight the similarly still-vaporware iPad nano or whatever Apple pulls out of its sleeve, but for me the phone battle has been lost.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How many smartphones right now are over 1 GHz? Clockspeed isn't as important as how efficient the chip is but I have no idea how the various cores compare offhand.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why would it need anything more than 1ghz? 1ghz runs great and this is targeted to be a business phone - what purpose would increased speed give, besides decreased battery life (exactly what a business phone doesn't need)?

The 1GHz OMAP in my Droid X runs the OS smoothly and efficiently. Anything that is not smooth and efficient is directly attributable to the fact that Android just isn't completely polished right now, which isn't going to be fixed by increased processor speed. It'll be fixed when everything gets accelerated through the graphics card.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How many smartphones right now are over 1 GHz? Clockspeed isn't as important as how efficient the chip is but I have no idea how the various cores compare offhand.
but moar is better right? :D

What I REALLY like is that it doesn't have full blown moto blur on it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why would it need anything more than 1ghz? 1ghz runs great and this is targeted to be a business phone - what purpose would increased speed give, besides decreased battery life (exactly what a business phone doesn't need)?

The 1GHz OMAP in my Droid X runs the OS smoothly and efficiently. Anything that is not smooth and efficient is directly attributable to the fact that Android just isn't completely polished right now, which isn't going to be fixed by increased processor speed. It'll be fixed when everything gets accelerated through the graphics card.
I DEMAND MOAR.
:weee:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would like my next phone to not be a blackberry. Does the samsung Galaxy actually sync with Outlook properly?
iPhones sync with exchange just fine ;)

First impressions while wait at the car dealership (they're programming another key fob, nothing's wrong):

- screen is gorgeous, text renders oh so smoothly
- interface is much more fluid than on my 3G (3.1.3; 4.0 was a complete joke on the 3G)
- I wish the design weren't symmetric front to back, as I keep on pulling it out of it's foof case backwards
- Apple Retail Store sales experience was great, infinitely better than the ATT, Verizon stores or especially the god-awful Best Buy
- I might end up taking the craigslist photos for my soon-to-be-sold 3G with this phone's camera

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm honestly considering trying out windowsphone7, the interface looks really clean. dunno if i can convince myself to be an early adopter on this one though...

i wonder if winpo7 will bsod?

gruczniak

Chimp
Apr 25, 2008
I just read some, and I see a big step back. No multitasking for instance. Even on my ancient WinMo 6.1 I had skype running in the background with unlimited dataplan...
No flash.
I am aware and I do not mind slowing things down in certain situations, rather than not be able to at all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WP7 sure looks nice. And MS has made big strides in the quality and UI of most of their software.

That said, given how epic a failure WinMo was, there's no way I would be an early adopter of these phones.

Besides, I've got a custom ROM loaded on my overclocked Android phone right now... love the customization :thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am not too aware with android application. In this thread I can get enough knowledge about android. I really love to see that image of motorola phone. This is such a very useful information for me about android.
i think i talked to you at tech support the other day.
your name was Robert from Atlanta, but i could swear it was Tarbash from Mumbai

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
So I am am not so proud owner of a samsung craptivate. I really like the idea of this phone, but the execution has been piss poor. the phone is slow and freezes constantly. The icing on this poop cake is there is an "unable to download, please try again later" Icon that will not go away for days at a time. cant turn it off, it goes away as it goes.

So I have two options. I could possibly trade it in to best buy where I got it, seeing as I have the black tie protection plan, which guards against lemons, and this thing def has a citrus scent. or I can try and fix it myself, which is why I m here.

So, as far as these phones go, I have little to no idea what I am doing. I am however a technologically adaptable and competent person. Should I back up everything on my phone and reset it? If this is the way I should go? Any good apps for backup? DO i need to root it before (Ive read of talk about it)

also on a separate topic, Is froyo available for my phone yet? Ive found leaked versions but I cant find any definite sources.