Almost-short list includes:

Ford Escape (poss. Hybrid)
Jeep Patriot
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Mitsubishi Outlander
Nissan Frontier
Toyota RAV4

Top priorities - gas mileage, cargo space, prefer a V6 or similar. CVT will probably kick the Patriot out quickly.

To be continued...

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
my girl has a new 08 escape not the hybrid and I like it a real lot. I'm no car guy but I know its nice and comfy inside plus it drives real well

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You have the Frontier but no Tacoma?
Give them a look. I really like mine but it's not a daily driver with $4 gas. Neither is the Frontier though.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
have a Tacoma currently. Don't really like the direction Toyota went with this latest generation. The Frontier is pretty well last on the list, but on there because I want to be sure that I do not want to sacrifice gas for carrying capacity. another higher up priority is some ground clearance... Not off-road, but parking at mtb race venues in the middle beaten pastures.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The beginning of a long process.

Jeep Patriot
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Mitsubishi Outlander
Nissan Frontier
Toyota RAV4

Top priorities - gas mileage, cargo space, prefer a V6 or similar. CVT will probably kick the Patriot out quickly.

To be continued...

I really like the rav4. It's small and compact but you can probably do everything you need to do in it. Or, if you're smart, you'd invest in a bike rack to keep the bikes on top/on the side. Otherwise the one I drove around in was peppy and felt well built.

Nissan trucks have been REALLY bad on gas recently...not sure if the new ones are much better, but the old ones sucked (17mpg hwy).

The new CRV I rode around in was very well built, but that's all I really have on it.

The element is one of the most useable and intelligent vehicles around...but it's also sinfully ugly.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Take your time somewhat & drive them all at least. Try to be somewhat honest with the sales guy & see what pro's & cons he comes up with comparing those vehicles. Sometimes they know things you don't.

Also fuel mileage shouldn't be your end all decesion maker. I drove a Toyota Echo coupe for over a year & it was excellent on fuel,but not much power at all hauling anything but yourself & a golf bag.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
don't take that as an insult. I bought a blazer and ended up getting horrible mileage, and the I realized that two bikes still have a hard time fitting inside. I could have been driving a smaller car and still getting more MPG with the bikes on the outside...my mistake.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Take a Honda Element for a test drive. While I don't care for the way that they look, they are very functional and versatile. Not sure about the MPG though.....

I'd likely own one if I didn't need a vehicle with more towing capacity...

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i have a 04 element and i love it. so easy to throw bikes in the back. i have removed the 2 rear seats so its kind of a mini-minivan now. im averaging 24 mpg. ive driven my parents 05 crv a lot which i think has a bit more umph to it but its not nearly as big inside, and the mpg is about the same

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Just test drove an Element and a new CR-V, there are about 3 Elements running around in our immediate riding group. The CR-V was very refined but could only stuff one bike in the back because the seats can't be removed. Nice driver though. Figured since I would have to stick the bike(s) outside and the wife wouldn't go for the Element, I ended up shucking both and went for fun factor/gas mileage. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Mini Clubman, 28/37 mpg. :biggrin:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm not sure why you would consider the Frontier if you hate them new Taco. They are so similiar. Whatever...

There are lots of suggestions for smaller wagon type cars. I tried the stationwagon/sportworks route and it lasted less than a year. Even with xc bikes, a hitch and rack weigh so much that it caused significant suspensions sagging and poor handling. Ground clearance was horrible and speed bumps and driveways were a constant paranoia.
Basically, if you are intending to get a 2" reciever, get a small SUV that already has good clearance and is more likely to have upgradeable suspension. Even my Tacoma did a lot better with a rack once I added airbags to the rear suspension.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
like I said, the Frontier is near the bottom. I have yet to even sit in once since they were introduced years ago. If I decide that I do want another truck, I will look again at a new Tacoma, along with the Frontier. Ideally, something like a Cherokee would be nice, but I don't think there is anything really like the old inline 6 Cherokee. Or better, a truck with the same interior as my 01 Taco, but 4dr, a bed cap, and better gas mileage.

I am leaning towards a V6 Escape right now, but it is still early on.

I can get deals at a Toyota dealer close by due to shop hookups.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I have an 07 tacoma w/ a camper top and just bought a 2" yakima hold up/ 2 bike tray bike rack best truck ever
the new taco's are real nice. the gas mileage is decent.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
How reliable do you guys think Edmund's "True Cost to Own" is? It is a rather interesting number...I just wonder how far off base it could be.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
It is not on your list but have you looked at Hyundai? The Santa Fe is really nice and a good value, IMO. I have owned 4 Hyundai's and only had one problem: A fuel injector failed. My wife's car is a '97 V6 Sonata with 247K. Bought new and still runs like a champ.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is not on your list but have you looked at Hyundai? The Santa Fe is really nice and a good value, IMO. I have owned 4 Hyundai's and only had one problem: A fuel injector failed. My wife's car is a '97 V6 Sonata with 247K. Bought new and still runs like a champ.
The main issue with Hyundai is the depreciation is a killer. They are very reliable, but they don't hold value, almost as bad as an American car.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
The beginning of a long process.

Honda CR-V
Mitsubishi Outlander
Toyota RAV4

Toyota Tacoma
Tacoma's back in it, replacing the Frontier. I've sat in a couple of the SUVs (Escape and Rav4), and I don't know if I can get over not having a truck. Hm.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Tacoma's back in it, replacing the Frontier. I've sat in a couple of the SUVs (Escape and Rav4), and I don't know if I can get over not having a truck. Hm.
didnt you say that you own a tacoma? i have an 07 v6 & on a good day I'll almost get 20 mpg on the highway and I have a light right foot.

btw, you never said that this is your goal, so the following may not apply to you. generally speaking buying a new car to save money on gas is mathematically silly. the amount you save on gas will (almost) never equal the increase in car payments.

for example in the extreme case:

gas cost per gallon: $5
miles driven per year: 25000
old car mpg: 20
new car mpg: 40

in this scenario gas savings are $3125 per year. comparing that to going from no car payment to $300 / month ($3600 / year) means you are spending more money per year on your gas & new vehicle combined. If you are going from car loan to car loan, then this point is more or less moot.

I am not preaching against buying a new car. If you want a new car, who am I to advise against it. I am just trying to point out that it is almost never economically sound to buy a new car because it gets better mpg. (If someone has a counter point, I would love to hear it. seriously.)

with regard to your original question, a buddy of mine has a RAV4 and we pack tons of **** in it and still ride comfortably.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My suggestion would be to delete this thread, buy what you want, and live happily ever after.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
didnt you say that you own a tacoma? i have an 07 v6 & on a good day I'll almost get 20 mpg on the highway and I have a light right foot.

btw, you never said that this is your goal, so the following may not apply to you. generally speaking buying a new car to save money on gas is mathematically silly. the amount you save on gas will (almost) never equal the increase in car payments.
While fuel efficiency is important, i just want more interior room.

what do you think of the interior on the Tacoma? Is your's a year old yet? how's the interior holding up? the bed...is it all it's cracked up to be? in general, are you pretty happy with it?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

what do you think of the interior on the Tacoma? Is your's a year old yet? how's the interior holding up? the bed...is it all it's cracked up to be? in general, are you pretty happy with it?
i am procrastinating, so you get a long answer...

in general I am happy. 9 on a scale of 10 happy.

I bought it in june 07 and have almost 20k miles on it. I have the access cab with the jump seats in back. For my purposes it is very roomy. It depends on your needs though. The rear interior is getting a little beat up. The fabric is getting pilled and the plastic is gouged. However, I use the jump seat are to carry my equipment cases, which are made of hard plastic, alu and wood = pretty rough on the seats.

I use it for three things: 1. long hauls (1500-3000 miles per run) with equipment - for this task it is great! comfy, roomy, enough power and relatively quiet. 2. commuting to work - sucky mpg, but the highways are so terrible here i'd be afraid to drive a car. 3. commuting to the DJs - with the cap on i can very easily fit two bikes, lots of tools and still have room for the dog.

The one thing that freaked me out a little is the plastic bed. The other day I tossed a pointed spade into the bed and it stuck right in the plastic like a big azz lawn dart. Granted, the blades on those spades can get very sharp after a decent amount of use, but it still made me wonder how long the bed is gonna hold up... I have had the bed loaded to the point where the rear axle was nearly riding on the bumpstops, so it seems to hold weight OK.

Btw, you will never lack a place to put your water bottle, beer can, coke or coffee. I think I have counted 9 cup holders so far in the cab.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
how about i delete your mom instead?
I think you took that post the wrong way but....if you want to be a twat...

grab some of your girlfriends douche and clean that wound between your legs.

Good luck on the car search.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

Just my 2c having owned mine for 1.5 yrs now. 16k mi
I have a double cab long bed prerunner.
I like it. It's the right mix between big and small for what I do. I can still park it in the city and it can hold 4 people/7 bikes and all the gear.
I bought cordura seat covers and weatherguard floor mats 1 week into ownership. I have a dog and don't want to change after mountain biking. The interior is still new sans 1 tiny scratch from my 80# dog.
I've had zero issues with the bed.
My mileage is about 17-18 with +1" AT tires. Not great, but its not a daily driver so I don't really care.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I was looking at that same list a while back and ended up with something totally different. 2006 Tundra with a 4.0 V6 and the 5spd tranny and the extended cab (same engine/tranny as the new Tacomas) and the truck weighs the same as a quad cab Tacoma. They only made it with that engine and chassis for 2005 and 2006 though. Cruising at 70 I can get 20mpg on it and I can fit three motorcycles in the bed, and we've seated 6 people/bikes in it before for shuttle runs. Plenty strong engine too. Also, with the Bilstein 5100 shocks on it to level the front end out it handles like a friggin rally car. If you're going to go with one of the lesbian SUV's, just knock off a MPG or two (if that even) and get a truck and you won't have to worry about having your bikes dangling off the roof or the back of your car.

Edit: I drove a couple of the long bed quad cab Tacomas and thought they handled like crap. They were way too narrow for the length and that was the only way to get a decent sized bed out of them. They were also sprung way too soft in the back to accept even a minimal load. The way my Tundra is set up now with the better suspension and the stock wheel stance, it has basically NO body roll. One of the next things to do is add the undercarriage sway bars or strut bars, and find a wheelset with a tiny bit more offset to the outside to make the stance a smiggin wider to make it handle even better. Also, those two years of the V6 Tundras can be had WAY cheaper than the newer style Tacomas....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I bought cordura seat covers and weatherguard floor mats 1 week into ownership. I have a dog and don't want to change after mountain biking. The interior is still new sans 1 tiny scratch from my 80# dog.
Which seatcovers? The seats in my Tacoma now pretty much smell like ass because I, too, don't want to change after riding. And the dog.

I am looking at the shortbed double cab. $2k rebate right now on the double cabs, as opposed to $750 on Access cabs. Plus, on my '01 Tacoma Xtra Cab, I can't fit a wheelbox back behind the front seats, let alone the tools, parts, etc I need when doing event support. And the lack of a 3rd/ 4th door is bad (on my 01). Is the double cab capable of fitting a bike into if need be?

The only thing right now that I don't like about '08 Tacomas compared to others is the lack of an auxiliary port/ iPod adapter. Minor, but still...yet to drive one, though.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I can't believe anybody is actually looking at an SUV/pickup these days... I drove a Cherokee for 5 years and you couldn't pay me to go back, and the gas was only $3 back then. hell, my "compact" now feels too big. I'd say get the smallest, most fun to drive car you can get, and rent something bigger if you need it on occasion. :)