Quantcast

Considering getting a new vehicle

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I can't believe anybody is actually looking at an SUV/pickup these days... I drove a Cherokee for 5 years and you couldn't pay me to go back, and the gas was only $3 back then. hell, my "compact" now feels too big. I'd say get the smallest, most fun to drive car you can get, and rent something bigger if you need it on occasion. :)
it is all about how you use the vehicle. I would be hard pressed to fit 400 lbs of equipment, a bike, a dog and clothing for a three week trip into a compact. as for renting, renting a GMC pickup or a cargo van is $75 per day at enterprise. for three weeks that makes $1575. no thank you.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Which seatcovers? The seats in my Tacoma now pretty much smell like ass because I, too, don't want to change after riding. And the dog.

I am looking at the shortbed double cab. $2k rebate right now on the double cabs, as opposed to $750 on Access cabs. Plus, on my '01 Tacoma Xtra Cab, I can't fit a wheelbox back behind the front seats, let alone the tools, parts, etc I need when doing event support. And the lack of a 3rd/ 4th door is bad (on my 01). Is the double cab capable of fitting a bike into if need be?

The only thing right now that I don't like about '08 Tacomas compared to others is the lack of an auxiliary port/ iPod adapter. Minor, but still...yet to drive one, though.
still trying to work as little as possible today.

i think you might have more luck fitting the bike in the access cab. wouldn't the seats in the 4-door get in the way? either way the front wheel is going to have to come off unless it is a bmx.

one of the reasons i went with the access cab long bed is because i didnt think that the short bed was long enough to hold a complete bike.

i had an ipod jack installed by a very reputable toyota certified shop and it cost me $300. best buy will do it for $45 and the kit cost $50.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Which seatcovers? The seats in my Tacoma now pretty much smell like ass because I, too, don't want to change after riding. And the dog.

I am looking at the shortbed double cab. $2k rebate right now on the double cabs, as opposed to $750 on Access cabs. Plus, on my '01 Tacoma Xtra Cab, I can't fit a wheelbox back behind the front seats, let alone the tools, parts, etc I need when doing event support. And the lack of a 3rd/ 4th door is bad (on my 01). Is the double cab capable of fitting a bike into if need be?

The only thing right now that I don't like about '08 Tacomas compared to others is the lack of an auxiliary port/ iPod adapter. Minor, but still...yet to drive one, though.

I got the King seatcovers (I think that's the brand)
They look good, but are showing wear after a year. They where spendy too.
I solved the iPod issue with $100 adapter and a 15min install. IOt is very easy. Even charges my iPod.
Get the long bed. It's not much longer to drive, but much smaller if you're putting a bike in the back. A DH bike will just fit with the tailgate up. With my canopy, I can sleep in it too.
And yes, I could cram a bike in the backseat if I really wanted to.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I can't believe anybody is actually looking at an SUV/pickup these days... I drove a Cherokee for 5 years and you couldn't pay me to go back, and the gas was only $3 back then. hell, my "compact" now feels too big. I'd say get the smallest, most fun to drive car you can get, and rent something bigger if you need it on occasion. :)
There was a short period of time when I was driving a Mazda3 hatchback...about 6 months. It was pretty damn fun to drive, but I couldn't get used to it. Gas mileage was alright, but...I don't know. I couldn't just throw **** into the back and not feel bad for getting it dirty and smelling like ass. It was also a bit small on the inside. I'm thinking the Escape is leading in my SUV category.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
So, this was getting me too and I found this:

This basically turns the double DIN radio into a single allowing you to install an aftermarket head unit but it looks normal. I was apprehensive at first but the kit looks really nice and now I have sirius and an aux input.

I also finally installed the yakima hold up bike rack and coupled with the camper top my truck is set uP!

Get the tacoma...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
space and efficiency:

Honda Fit
Honda Fit
Honda Fit
Kia Rondo
Nissan Versa
Mazda5

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Drove the long bed...too long. This truck is exactly what I wanted. First time I've ever gotten exactly what I wanted. Kind of nice. Now I just have to get an iPod adapter in there.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Drove the long bed...too long. This truck is exactly what I wanted. First time I've ever gotten exactly what I wanted. Kind of nice. Now I just have to get an iPod adapter in there.
Cool. I hope it works for you. One of the only things I would change if I could would be a 3" longer bed.

This is what I got. It works ok. The sound quality is good. However, sometimes it randomly changes modes when the truck is turned off and the song display through the head unit doesn't work.
Maybe look at another brand. I wouldn't replace the head unit though unless you are a complete audiophile. I'm reasonably picky and the sound quality is acceptable.
http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Factory-Radio-Interface-Auxiliary/dp/B000I6LIF2

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
space and efficiency:

Honda Fit
Honda Fit
Honda Fit
Kia Rondo
Nissan Versa
Mazda5
In Denmark I saw tons of Mazda5 type mini min vans and a lot of them pimped and not driven by soccer moms. Its difficult to beat the space and efficiency of the Madza5 and looks much more sporty than a big mini van

Works for Eurotrans like me but I am not sure if the manly US male is ready. My personal vote goes to the BMW X3.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No longbed?

If you plan on putting any load in the bed much over the weight of bikes/gear, look into getting the additional leaf spring (I think Toyota dealers were offering this for the newer ones since they came sprung for street driving).