BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Buy it and beat the crap out of it.

I think my youger brother had one of those as a commuter when he worked at REI. You can always pull the parts off it and put them on something else.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I want a bike like that real bad.

Check out the SCOTT line as well. They have a variety of prices and specs.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stosh said:
I want a bike like that real bad.

Check out the SCOTT line as well. They have a variety of prices and specs.
Ill look into that, but there IS an REI right up the road from me, and they have one in stock...

Kind of neat how it has alot of MTB parts on it, I think thats why I like it. I dont want to be no freakin roadie...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
Ill look into that, but there IS an REI right up the road from me, and they have one in stock...

Kind of neat how it has alot of MTB parts on it, I think thats why I like it. I dont want to be no freakin roadie...
Dude, I was totally having this conversation in my head on the way in to work this morning.

There is a nice paved rail trail I want to ride on but I hate taking my FS or my HT out there because I hate ruining my tires on asphalt. Not to mention they are heavy and I don't need suspension.
HOWEVER, I f'ing HATE HATE HATE the feel of road bikes. Plus around here the roads are schitty and dont' have much of an edge to ride on so a road bike is totally no fun IMO.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Check out the San Jose from Bianchi as a commuter: super simple, singlespeed, canti brakes, steel frame, lugs for racks and such if you want to go that route. One of the coolest bikes I've seen in a while, and it would make a great commuter I think. That thing from REI seems like TOO much stuff... why do you need flipping disc brakes on a COMMUTER? Bah I say!

http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_san_jose.html

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Full Trucker said:
Check out the San Jose from Bianchi as a commuter: super simple, singlespeed, canti brakes, steel frame, lugs for racks and such if you want to go that route. One of the coolest bikes I've seen in a while, and it would make a great commuter I think. That thing from REI seems like TOO much stuff... why do you need flipping disc brakes on a COMMUTER? Bah I say!

That thing is neat, but I am officially OFF the SS bandwagon. I just want to ride to school, not be a pseudo-messenger douche bag. :rofl:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Full Trucker said:

I'm not really sure why you would want a Singlespeed as a commuter.

Then again I'm not really sure why you would want a single speed for anything other than BMX.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually FT, that Castro Valley is pretty neat. 9spd, at least, I could do without the fenders tho.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So here's WHY you'd run a SS for commuting: without gears the bike seems less valuable and less likely to get jacked with by would-be theives. No gears = no deraillers = less maintenance and fewer problems from rain and mud and snow and what have you. And unless you live in San Fran, I don't see why would you NEED multiple gears to commute around town...

And yeah, that Castro Valley is a cool bike... and even though the fenders LOOK like Holy Hell in a Handbag, they'd prolly be pretty nice when the rain starts coming down...

(unless you're planning on only being a fair-weather commuter...)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Full Trucker said:
So here's WHY you'd run a SS for commuting: without gears the bike seems less valuable and less likely to get jacked with by would-be theives. No gears = no deraillers = less maintenance and fewer problems from rain and mud and snow and what have you. And unless you live in San Fran, I don't see why would you NEED multiple gears to commute around town...

And yeah, that Castro Valley is a cool bike... and even though the fenders LOOK like Holy Hell in a Handbag, they'd prolly be pretty nice when the rain starts coming down...

(unless you're planning on only being a fair-weather commuter...)
Actually YES that exactly what I plan to be :) **** getting all wet. I dont like the environment that much...

But you do make a good point on the SS, and it is cheap...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
Actually YES that exactly what I plan to be :) **** getting all wet. I dont like the environment that much...

But you do make a good point on the SS, and it is cheap...
You got a link to the prices? *edit* never mind I see it on the site.

Is it flat where you live?
It isn't around here. Plus I could never commute to my job on a bike. I would use it as a training run in to town bike.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stosh said:
You got a link to the prices? *edit* never mind I see it on the site.

Is it flat where you live?
It isn't around here. Plus I could never commute to my job on a bike. I would use it as a training run in to town bike.
Flat? No. But its not mountainous in town either. We do have nice roads tho.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
Flat? No. But its not mountainous in town either. We do have nice roads tho.
The winters kill the roads around here. Not to mention all the rednecks that live on my road which is pretty much everybody but me drive their rusted out pickup trucks like they are F1 cars down our pot holed no shouldered road.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BS - have you thought about picking up a cheap but solid HT and throwing some road slicks on it? I did that for a while (GT Aggressor with Panaracer Hi-Roads) and was very happy with it. The only reason I went with a full on roadie was because the HT didn't fit me well and I got to the point where I wanted to get into the road scene.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:
BS - have you thought about picking up a cheap but solid HT and throwing some road slicks on it? I did that for a while (GT Aggressor with Panaracer Hi-Roads) and was very happy with it. The only reason I went with a full on roadie was because the HT didn't fit me well and I got to the point where I wanted to get into the road scene.
I wish I still had my 1x1, but it had to go when times were tight. Would have been perfect for that. I think I would do that if I hade one around, but seeing as whatever i get will be seeing alot of use daily, I may as well get something for its intended purpose.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Damn... Someone had a late 90's GIANT out at the curb this morning... Now I'm pissed I drove by, well I was pissed then... but now I'm thinking about how sweet it would have been to use that bike as a commuter.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BurlyShirley said:
I wish I still had my 1x1, but it had to go when times were tight. Would have been perfect for that. I think I would do that if I hade one around, but seeing as whatever i get will be seeing alot of use daily, I may as well get something for its intended purpose.
My husband was riding his C-dale HT for commuting (17 miles each way) with slicks on it. I just bought him a road bike though so he'll be selling the C-dale and commuting on his roadie now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
Or have seen any better deals on a bike to ride to school every day instead of driving my gas guzzling, environment killer SUV all the time?
Dammit, yer link is dead. (at least from here - REI's site won't load at all)

Ever consider the Surly Crosscheck? Great commute bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
My husband was riding his C-dale HT for commuting (17 miles each way) with slicks on it. I just bought him a road bike though so he'll be selling the C-dale and commuting on his roadie now.
[derail]
oooh, what did you get him?
[/derail]

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I would TOTALLY go for it! REI has one of the best warrantys around. I don't know how they do it, but they have a lifetime guarentee, and if you break somthing, take it back and they replace it, if not for free, for seriously cheap.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
BigMike said:
I would TOTALLY go for it! REI has one of the best warrantys around. I don't know how they do it, but they have a lifetime guarentee, and if you break somthing, take it back and they replace it, if not for free, for seriously cheap.
Ooh yeah, I almost forgot the best part about REI... scamming them! hahahaha... so check this out BS: buy that REI bike, ride it for a little while, say a week or so. Then RETURN it, and just tell them it really wasn't what you were looking for. THEN... cruise in there a few days later and buy that same exact bike... NOW it'll be half-off and sitting on the CLEARANCE RACK!

:thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Full Trucker said:
Ooh yeah, I almost forgot the best part about REI... scamming them! hahahaha... so check this out BS: buy that REI bike, ride it for a little while, say a week or so. Then RETURN it, and just tell them it really wasn't what you were looking for. THEN... cruise in there a few days later and buy that same exact bike... NOW it'll be half-off and sitting on the CLEARANCE RACK!

:thumb:

Yep, you can do that too............ but just remember, KARMA!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've been thinking of building one of these with a cheap cyclocross frame and the parts from my HT:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=163953

I had a road bike a few years ago but wasn't crazy about the way road bikes "feel". Lately I have considered getting a full on road bike, I had a line on a good deal a few weeks ago but passed on it. I've been leaning lately towards something like this [in the link], I typically ride on the road to train, either in the hills around my neighborhood or on the river trail (paved) so I don't really see the need for a full on road bike, but a fairly light 700c wheeled bike with road slicks on it would be nice.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Why would anyone spend $800 on a commuter bike? I've been riding the same fuji sandblaster that I pulled out of a dumpster for over 3 years. Converted it to single speed, threw on some fenders, and got a bike that nobody in their right mind would steal. Never dropped a chain, plenty fast for commuting, and I don't mind leaving it unlocked in front of the quickie mart on the way home if I pop in to buy a beer.

I guess if you've got the money to burn, then go for it. I just don't see any reason to spend so much for a bike that just goes from point A to B. Especially knowing that most folks on this forum have an endless supply of old parts to beef up an initially less-than-desirable bike.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
sam_little said:
Why would anyone spend $800 on a commuter bike? I've been riding the same fuji sandblaster that I pulled out of a dumpster for over 3 years. Converted it to single speed, threw on some fenders, and got a bike that nobody in their right mind would steal. Never dropped a chain, plenty fast for commuting, and I don't mind leaving it unlocked in front of the quickie mart on the way home if I pop in to buy a beer.

I guess if you've got the money to burn, then go for it. I just don't see any reason to spend so much for a bike that just goes from point A to B. Especially knowing that most folks on this forum have an endless supply of old parts to beef up an initially less-than-desirable bike.
truer words were never spoken.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That looks slick. I bought a roadie off ebay for $125, steel old school Centurion Ironman Dave Scott (1989 model). I was looking at some of the cheap ass Iron Horse HT's and tossing some hookworms on it as well, but I couldn't beat $125.

But I do need to true up the wheels, I have beaten the hell out of that thing in the 2 months I've had it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Because of limits on storage, I can only justify having one type of bike, like one road bike, one DH bike, etc.

Buying a 700c commuter is not a bad idea if commuting/light road riding is your goal. However, since I have a road bike but do not have a XC hardtail, I rather get the hardtail and throw on slicks.

I was thinking about getting the Bad Boy Ultra, which is a Furio frame and Headshok with 700c wheels, then use mtn wheels from another bike.

But I rather get a mountain bike than a commuter. Too limited.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
jimmydean said:
That looks slick. I bought a roadie off ebay for $125, steel old school Centurion Ironman Dave Scott (1989 model). I was looking at some of the cheap ass Iron Horse HT's and tossing some hookworms on it as well, but I couldn't beat $125.

But I do need to true up the wheels, I have beaten the hell out of that thing in the 2 months I've had it.
What, a commuter in Portland with multiple gears? Say it isn't so. Do you at least peg your cuffs and wear a cycling cap?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
sam_little said:
What, a commuter in Portland with multiple gears? Say it isn't so. Do you at least peg your cuffs and wear a cycling cap?
Sorry, I do not. I also do not have post cards in my spokes, I don't wear a messenger bag, my bars aren't cut AND my bike HAS brakes.

I'm a rebel in this town. I work on 6th and Oak, so I get a lot of funny looks when I ride in to work. There is a Pinarello parked out front right now that fits all of your Portland "cool biker" needs. :D

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
BurlyShirley said:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47968731&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=KHAKI&img=/media/726882.jpg&view=large

It has an awesome component spec. X9, avid mechs, etc, for really pretty cheap. Only thing is, I have no experience with REI/Novara bikes. Anyone have one? Or have seen any better deals on a bike to ride to school every day instead of driving my gas guzzling, environment killer SUV all the time?
I get the red one then :p

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
My REI has a green one, it looks sweet. I wouldnt pull the trigger though, like others have said I would go for something thats rideable but thrashed so you wont have to worry about it being stolen. Seriously though . . . disc brakes on the road :drool:

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
REI = Return Every Item

I had a buddy buy an MSR stove at REI 20+ years ago. Something broke on it, and he took it back. They gave him a brand new one on the spot.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
As others have mentioned, a bike like that gets stolen fast, especially on a campus.

How far of a commute do you have? If it is fairly short just pick up a beat up BMX bike. I've got an old Kona dirt jump bmx that is perfect. No brakes, beat to hell, works well. Street tires on it and the thing is fast. If you go more than a mile I wouldn't suggest it, but for short trips it rocks. No fenders though, so in the wet it sucks.

Otherwise I'd say get a new cruiser with fenders (trek makes some sweet ones) or an old cruiser or road bike off of craiglist. I know several people who have bought bikes off of craigslist for 30-50 bucks. I hook them up with tune-ups and maybe a cheap set of tires and then they sell it in a few months for $20 more than they paid for it. The older stuff is reliable and cheap to fix, especially if you are a mechanic.

For a new commuter I'd either go urban mountain bike or full on roadie style. Something you can beat up and throw down stairs or something that is so damn fast the police won't even see you running three red lights, blowing through the stop sign, and cruising the wrong way down a one-way street...all while drinking a 40 and smoking a joint.

The Ito

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ito said:
As others have mentioned, a bike like that gets stolen fast, especially on a campus.

How far of a commute do you have? If it is fairly short just pick up a beat up BMX bike. I've got an old Kona dirt jump bmx that is perfect. No brakes, beat to hell, works well. Street tires on it and the thing is fast. If you go more than a mile I wouldn't suggest it, but for short trips it rocks. No fenders though, so in the wet it sucks.

Otherwise I'd say get a new cruiser with fenders (trek makes some sweet ones) or an old cruiser or road bike off of craiglist. I know several people who have bought bikes off of craigslist for 30-50 bucks. I hook them up with tune-ups and maybe a cheap set of tires and then they sell it in a few months for $20 more than they paid for it. The older stuff is reliable and cheap to fix, especially if you are a mechanic.

For a new commuter I'd either go urban mountain bike or full on roadie style. Something you can beat up and throw down stairs or something that is so damn fast the police won't even see you running three red lights, blowing through the stop sign, and cruising the wrong way down a one-way street...all while drinking a 40 and smoking a joint.

The Ito
Its at least 5 miles to campus. No BMX bike for me...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
sam_little said:
Why would anyone spend $800 on a commuter bike? I've been riding the same fuji sandblaster that I pulled out of a dumpster for over ...snip...folks on this forum have an endless supply of old parts to beef up an initially less-than-desirable bike.
:stupid:

I felt bad about spending the $7.99 for my fender. I've left the thing unlocked outside (by accident) for a full day on a couple of occasions and it was still there. I guess someone might steal my Candy's one day, though.

Front brake only (moto style), 44x13 SS, 170mm cranks - most thieves would give up halfway through the first pedal stroke, and then eat sh!t when they grabbed a bunch of front brake..