Quantcast

constantly leaking front brake???

S

seespotendo

My brakes are hayes HFX 9HD's. My bikes been in the shop twice within like 2 months because the front break leaks at the caliper and i haven't even been riding it.
-The first time it was in the shop the pistons were replaced and it was bleed
-It leaked again, it went in the shop again, they took it apart and cleaned it and re-bleed it again
-I checked on it today cause i was playing on riding tomorrow, its obviously been leaking cause there's brake oil all over the caliper, the disc, the hose, and even my fork's lowers.

help
any ideas...?

thanks

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
where exactly is it leaking? @ the pistons or the bleed port? If it's at the pistons and those have already been replaced, then something is hosed up on the caliper and it needs replaced.

That being said, if replacing the pistons hasn't fixed it, I'd say cut your losses and get something to replace it before this brake becomes a money pit.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
1. hfx-9 day has come and gone.
2. rebuilding it will be a nothing more than a big holeto shovel money into
3. you could have a problem with the master cylander, caliper seals, or hose.
4. likely all of #3 are somewhat f'd up.
5. find some elixir 5's for $100 or less, and spend less than rebuilding
6. have good brakes to boot

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not to encourage the throw away society that we live in, but those brakes sucked when new and you can buy a whole new set of something nicer for less than the parts.
Check out ebay. You can get Juicy 5s for very cheap and they are quite decent.
When I cracked the lever on my Hayes Mags, I just bought a whole set for $50. That's less than the parts and I now have lots of spares.

If you're still out, PM me. I have at least 3 sets of Hayes in the basement with no use to me. Mags too.

S

seespotendo

I think its leaking from where the hose connects to the little hose connector piece thats attaches it to the caliper.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Fahrealz, fahgettaboutit and get new brakes

HFX 9's are a real headache. If you're a loyal customer to hayes, I'd suggest trying the Stroker Ace. Fawkin awesome power and modulation. You can find yourself a set for pretty cheap online.