Quantcast

construction with pine

xrhinox

Chimp
Feb 15, 2004
Marietta, GA
anybody know the strength and longevity of pine for building stunts? I've got some pine trees in my backyard that have to come down and I was thinking of using the base/trunks for some of the support structure to build a couple stunts...

thanks,
el guapo

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I'm sure it'll be fine - 99% of built stunts seem to be made of 2x4's and 2x6's - which are all pine anyway. They seem to hold up, so a whole tree trunk should be good to go....

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
aaah - Lloyd! What's up dude! cool to see you on here, you coming back up for Snowshoe this year?

-dan

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Strip the bark off of them to prevent wood eating insects from hiding under it. Also put some tin flashing over the cut end. It should last quite a while.

Mike

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
Originally posted by xrhinox
anybody know the strength and longevity of pine for building stunts? I've got some pine trees in my backyard that have to come down and I was thinking of using the base/trunks for some of the support structure to build a couple stunts...

thanks,
el guapo

i'm getting ready to do the exact same thing... i have (three) 80' + white pines in my yard. one of them just droped a 6" limb into the floor of my neihbors boat :rolleyes: so...... i think it's time they go. anyway, i'll prolly end up with about 200' of ladders when it's all said and done. i have a drop in off of a 10' shed onto a dirt jump. wanna turn my yard into a stunt park. i'm out in Round Hill VA. if anyone wants to come out and help, i'll get a keg and throw some dead cow on the grill. we'll build, ride, eat, and drink. it will be open for riding anytime anyone wants to stop by. i'll set up a seperate thread soon for the build party...

ben