Quantcast

construction with pine

xrhinox

Chimp
Feb 15, 2004
Marietta, GA
anybody know the strength and longevity of pine for building stunts? I've got some pine trees in my backyard that have to come down and I was thinking of using the base/trunks for some of the support structure to build a couple stunts...

thanks,
el guapo

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Pine is one of the weakest woods around, but thats coming from a wood workers perspective (dents easy) if you have a tree of it you would be more than fine im sure. if it's strong enough to not break in the wind im sure it'll hold up to your weight + bike :)

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Pine won't last very long, maybe 2 or 3 years, depending on the size of logs you are using, branches won't last a season.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I've got some factual info that may or may not be relevant.

According to my Western Lumber Span Tables book, a 2" x 10" piece of Southern Pine can span 15' 3" when placed on 16" centers. Compare that to the span value of 17' 4" for a piece of Douglas Fir. (Values are for a 40# live load and 10# dead load.) So, Southern Pine is about 87% as strong as Doug Fir.

How does this relate to your question? Well, if you're comfortable using Doug Fir over a given span, shorten it by the appropriate value if you want to use the Southern Pine.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Originally posted by gorgechris
I've got some factual info that may or may not be relevant.

According to my Western Lumber Span Tables book, a 2" x 10" piece of Southern Pine can span 15' 3" when placed on 16" centers. Compare that to the span value of 17' 4" for a piece of Douglas Fir. (Values are for a 40# live load and 10# dead load.) So, Southern Pine is about 87% as strong as Doug Fir.

How does this relate to your question? Well, if you're comfortable using Doug Fir over a given span, shorten it by the appropriate value if you want to use the Southern Pine.
Load span means nothing when you're talking wooden stunts. Resistence to decomposition is the key component. Hemlock, Locust, and Cedar are the most prevalent woods suitable for your building environment in Ga. Oak will do in a pinch.....but cedar is hands down the best material to work with. It lasts for many many years without maintainence and the natural traction it provides gives plenty of grip even in wet conditions. The cedar on our coast has more knots in it than, say the Western Cedar found on the North Shore, which splits easily into perfectly square rungs. Because of their dense, dark and moist environment, they have to utilize a wood that won't rot to the point where they're replacing boards every six months to a year. Although one wouldn't make a direct comparison of Georgia to Vancouver, they both share a lot of the same problematic quirks that call for sturdier building materials----Vancouver has the rain, Georgia has the humidity and decidious tree growth that provide the same damp and dark climates that are perfect for decomposing things-----including bodies if you're a mortician(inside joke for you Georgian's). When I started building stunts, I used whatever I could get my hands on---pallets, scrap 2x4's, whatever.....after going through several years of replacing wood at an annoying rate, I realized that you have to build them to last---and than means sucking it up and doing your homework to find the right type of wood. First, drive around the neighborhoods----look for folks that have had cedar trees cut down in their yard or place of business. Offer to haul it off for nothing ....the owners usually don't care who takes it as long as it gets gone. Second....hit the local sawmills and ask nicely if they have any cedar scraps you could haul off for them. Not a lot of sawmills have cedar readily on hand, so it might be a longshot, but worth a try anyway. Even though you have a lot of pine handy, forget using it as stunt material.....it's slick as hell when wet, gets moldy, and you'll be replacing parts of it all the time.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by Greyhound
Load span means nothing when you're talking wooden stunts. Resistence to decomposition is the key component.
Hmm, perhaps you mean to say that decomposition is more likely to be an issue when building typical stunts? To state that load span is irrelevant indicates that you could span an infinitely long distance with an infinitely shallow chunk of word. My guess is a 1/2" dowel will not sustain your weight if you try to span 20'.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
I agree with Gorgechris.......that will be fine for stunts depending on application. I manage a contractor sales dept in Hood River, and although pine is softer and wroughts quicker, you shouldnt have to worry about it. Unless, of course, your doing your ladder rungs with 1x material @ 16" or greater on-center, then should consider a lil thicker or different species. Thats my input. Mike

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by MotoXmg
I agree with Gorgechris.......that will be fine for stunts depending on application. I manage a contractor sales dept in Hood River, and although pine is softer and wroughts quicker, you shouldnt have to worry about it. Unless, of course, your doing your ladder rungs with 1x material @ 16" or greater on-center, then should consider a lil thicker or different species. Thats my input. Mike
Mike's got my back because we're Hood River bros. HR represent! Yo!

Just so y'all don't think I'm talking out my behind, I spent a decade as a contractor/carpenter, so I know my way around wood.

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado
Originally posted by MMike
I suggest using walnut or cherry.
im sorry, but this really angers me....he asked if the PINE in his back yard would hold up....its just gonna be scrap, so should he use it? he didn't ask "what kind of wood should i use?" this has nothing to do with that.....sorry, im done, dont get mad 'n stuff, it just happens alot and im not really a fan of it.:rolleyes:

xrhinox

Chimp
Feb 15, 2004
Marietta, GA
ok, to get back on track here; pine is OK -since it'll be for short term operation and for stunts less than 6ft in height... it's also given that with the portion of the pine material I'm using (the trunk/base/shaft (hee hee) that I should have no problems with structural integrity... and that maybe coat of waterseal would help after stripping the bark off... anything else??

and thanks for the replies, this has been really helpful -especially p@nis innuendo...

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by stoner_303
im sorry, but this really angers me....he asked if the PINE in his back yard would hold up....its just gonna be scrap, so should he use it? he didn't ask "what kind of wood should i use?" this has nothing to do with that.....sorry, im done, dont get mad 'n stuff, it just happens alot and im not really a fan of it.:rolleyes:
Umm, I think MMike was making a facetious statement.