Quantcast

Consumer conditioning at its finest.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
boostindoubles said:
yea it was out in left field. came to mind all the sudden that gas price control is completely out of our hands and we are like puppets on string. If we dont complain about it and get our voices out in the air its gonna continue to rollarcoaster around and never get better.

which is like civil rights. If people didnt stand up and get their voices out life didnt change.
So we have a right to cheap gas? WTF? Your attempt at logic is causing me confusion. :confused:

Civil Rights are "rights" - cheap gas is not a "right."

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Apparently earning RECORD profits while crying supply shortage is a right these days. Look, I have no problem with the profit, just don't bellyache and tell the world there's a shortage of oil where it's so bad it's costing too much to produce. All the while raising prices disproportionately to the actual rise in cost. It's all BULL****. Eat it up and chew it if you like - I refuse to, and I am doing something about.
Over and out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
JimmyTwoTimes said:
Apparently earning RECORD profits while crying supply shortage is a right these days. Look, I have no problem with the profit, just don't bellyache and tell the world there's a shortage of oil where it's so bad it's costing too much to produce. All the while raising prices disproportionately to the actual rise in cost. It's all BULL****. Eat it up and chew it if you like - I refuse to, and I am doing something about.
Over and out.
Oh please enlighten us as to what you're going to "do" about it. Don't keep it to yourself.

JimmyTwoTimes said:
Over and out.
Price is an effect of supply and demand. Demand is at an all time high, supply was choked by Katrina and Rita.

I don't think it costs more to refine because theres a shortage.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Supply and demand, yes. Shortages will drive up costs, and everyone still needs to make money. Understood.

The problem though, is demand is relatively fixed. Sure, people can carpool, use public transportation, yada yada yada. That will reduce demand. But, our entire economy is built around using oil.

Everything you buy in a store, got there on a truck. The carpet in your house, got there on a truck. The businesses providing goods and services, are at the mercy of gas prices. The additional costs get passed on to the customer. So, unless people stop needing things, oil will still be a staple of our economy.

THE REAL PROBLEM:
If oil companies can post record profits after a hurricane knocks out huge amounts of their production. There is nothing encouraging them to improve, invest, or find alternate forms of energy. In fact, it encourages lobbying for an oil dependant society, in order to maintain a healthy financial record.

Where is the motivation for oil companies to become more competetive?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
last week they were interviewing a dude that owns a local gas station(s), he said he could lower his price and still make plenty of profit but he wouldnt because he thinks he would do too much business (and run out of gas before his next scheduled deliverly) so until the other local stations drop their price he's happy making the extra profit

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Biscuit said:
Supply and demand, yes. Shortages will drive up costs, and everyone still needs to make money. Understood.

The problem though, is demand is relatively fixed. Sure, people can carpool, use public transportation, yada yada yada. That will reduce demand. But, our entire economy is built around using oil.

Everything you buy in a store, got there on a truck. The carpet in your house, got there on a truck. The businesses providing goods and services, are at the mercy of gas prices. The additional costs get passed on to the customer. So, unless people stop needing things, oil will still be a staple of our economy.

THE REAL PROBLEM:

If oil companies can post record profits after a hurricane knocks out huge amounts of their production. There is nothing encouraging them to improve, invest, or find alternate forms of energy. In fact, it encourages lobbying for an oil dependant society, in order to maintain a healthy financial record.

Where is the motivation for oil companies to become more competetive?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Excellent point.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
SkaredShtles said:
So we have a right to cheap gas? WTF? Your attempt at logic is causing me confusion. :confused:

Civil Rights are "rights" - cheap gas is not a "right."

while cheap gas isnt a 'right', its not right to take it up the ass on gas prices for no reason but to pad the pockets of the already rich. Your taking my post to literal scared shtless. It was a metaphor about how we have to stand up when were getting screwed and make some noise. Cause it aint gonna change otherwise.

we do have the right to be charged a fair price for the gas we buy. And let me tell you my opinion, and that is that the recent inflation of gas hasnt been fair or is by any means justifyable. Its all corrupt as hell.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
boostindoubles said:
<snip>
we do have the right to be charged a fair price for the gas we buy. And let me tell you my opinion, and that is that the recent inflation of gas hasnt been fair or is by any means justifyable. Its all corrupt as hell.
Based on what evidence? What insight do you have into the whole affair? Please share. I'm seriously interested from what data you've drawn this (IMO farfetched) conclusion.........