Quantcast

Contador: “We won, both of us.”

Oct 20, 2009
<p>“We won, both of us.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Alberto Contador crossed the finish line today after starring with Andy Schleck in a tactical maneuver that left the two Specialized riders in the top two positions overall. Today’s stage nine, the hardest in the Alps, proved who are the strongest riders in the peloton of the Tour de France. </p><p>
</p><p>
“The differences have been bigger than expected,” Alberto summarized. </p><p>
</p><p>
Once again, Contador thanked the collaboration of his team mates. “The team have done extraordinary work. Dani Navarro and Paolo Tiralongo are brilliant in the mountains. I decided to follow Andy, who attacked several times then finally decided to work together. I decided the same, and I think we won, both of us.” </p><p>
</p><p>
Alberto was clear about today’s tactics, “We (Andy and I) had to join together to distance the others, the circumstances were like this. Now, we have to be very vigilant with each other, but I'm very happy with the result and my feelings, I felt very good.”</p><p>
</p><p>
About Schleck’s attacks at first, Contador said that he is now better than in Avoriaz, “Because the tactics were different. It is much easier to focus on a single rider. I'm also happy because my body recovers well, and the team is also good,” he repeated.</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador refused, however, that the Tour is only a matter of two. “No, there are still many riders that could escape in a breakaway, and there are many stages to attack from far away. I should not be distracted, but like I said yesterday, the most dangerous is Andy Schleck.” </p><p>
</p><p>
About the stage, he said it was, “A nice stage, la Madeleine has been very hard and many people lost time. Once again, it shows that the rest day is very dangerous.” And on his response to the attacks made by Andy, Alberto only said that his goal is clear, “I know the wheel to follow is that of Andy Schleck.” </p><p>
</p><p>
</p><p>
</p><p>
(Automatic translation from Team Astana press release. Please forgive inaccuracies)</p>

More...