Quantcast

Contador Plans Season Ahead

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Spaniard Alberto Contador is resting after having won his third Tour de France in July in a hard-fought battle with fellow Specialized rider, Andy Schleck. This week, he visited the Vuelta a España race, a short layover between guest appearances at bicycle trade shows.</p><p>
</p><p>
It is a welcome pause after a hectic race schedule in which he started his season in February. In fact, the last time he raced his Specialized bicycle was the final stage of the Tour de France on Paris' famous shopping avenue, the Champs-Élysées.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It is true that it has been awhile, but you have to consider that I began racing in February, and won, too. It didn't stop there: Paris-Nice in March and Castilla y León in April, I won them both, the Dauphiné in June, where I won two stages and finished second overall," Contador said in a television interview.</p><p>
</p><p>
"And then my third win at the Tour, where I was hitting top form for the second time in the year. Other riders might stay in the group to train, but I am not like that. When I race, I fight for the win. I raced only 55 days this year, but I was always concentrated on getting results. It requires a great effort every day."</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador will make some changes for next year, though. Shortly after the Tour de France, Saxo Bank announced that it signed Contador to lead its team for the next two seasons. And Contador is already making plans, which will please his home fans.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's not completely certain, but in principle, I will race the Tour de France and the Vuelta a España next season," he explained.</p><p>
</p><p>
He lasted raced his home stage race, the three-week Vuelta a España, in the 2008 season. He won the race and also won the Giro d'Italia that year, putting him in company with cycling greats who have won all three Grand Tours, a list including: Frenchmen Jacques Anquetil and Bernard Hinault, Italian Felice Gimondi, and Belgian Eddy Merckx.</p><p>
</p><p>
Italy would love to have cycling's current phenom back at its race. Even if it seems unlikely, Contador explained that there remains a chance for him to race the Giro d'Italia.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I am not ruling it out."</p><p>
</p><p>
After this season officially ends with team Astana, he will meet with Riis and his Saxo Bank team-mates to map their battle plan.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I want to recover well completely before starting getting ready for 2011," he said. "I'm very motivated and I'm sure I will be a lot stronger than in 2010."</p>

More...