Quantcast

Contador Soars into Leader’s Jersey

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Alberto Contador is back.</p><p>
</p><p>
With an emotional victory and daring tactics Wednesday, the Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank captain surged into the leader’s jersey at the Vuelta a España on a day when few expected many fireworks.</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador uncorked an audacious and ultimately brilliant attack with about 50km to go in the 187km 17th stage and took command of the Vuelta with just four days of racing left to go.</p><p>
</p><p>
“This victory means everything in the world to me. It’s one of the most special of my career,” said Contador, who had not won a race since 2011. “Today’s attack wasn’t planned. I just felt good. I didn’t want to be second. I want to win. I risked everything.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador and Saxo Bank-Tinkoff played brilliant tactics over the three-climb stage across the stunning Picos de Europa, slotting Bruno Pires, Sergio Paulhino and Jesus Hernández into breakaways heading toward the short but steep Cat. 2 Collado de Foz.</p><p>
</p><p>
After a string of attacks over the weekend failed to dislodge overnight leader, Joaquim Rodríguez, who was nursing a 28-second lead to Contador, the “pistolero del Pinto” had a few more bullets left in his gun.</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador powered away from the GC favorites, gapping them at 20 seconds over the top of the Cat. 2 climb. Then he just kept on pouring it on. The gap soon grew to two minutes, putting Contador into the virtual leader’s jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
That wasn’t enough. Contador wanted to put an exclamation point on this Vuelta, and that meant winning the stage as well. Contador found an ally with ex-Astana teammate Paolo Tiralongo (also upon Specialized bikes), who helped pace Contador on the approach to the final climb up the Cat. 2 Fuente Dé.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I want to give thanks to Paolo. He’s a great friend who helped me today,” said Contador, who was getting paid back from Tiralongo after Contador helped the Italian win a stage in the 2011 Giro. “I decided today that I didn’t want to be second place anymore. I had some doubts and was worried that they might catch me and then attack me, but I decided to attack.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador fended off a chasing Alejandro Valverde, who crossed the line second at six seconds back moved up to second overall, now 1:52 back</p><p>
</p><p>
It was an epic day of racing and it proved that Contador is returning to his best. </p><p>
</p><p>
“The Vuelta is not over, but we made an important step today,” Contador said. “I want thank everyone who stood by me, my family, my wife, my friends. The team has been phenomenal. Not a lot of people counted on me today, but I wanted to try.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Many in Spain are already heralding Contador’s stage victory as one of the most epic in Vuelta history. It certainly pumped more drama into what’s already been an explosive and entertaining Spanish tour.</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador confirmed yet again he is natural-born grand tour rider. As Rodríguez said at the finish line, “Contador is a big champion. No one can change a race like he can. And what he did today is something epic. I know I will be sad, but Alberto is the strongest. You just have to accept it.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Just four days stand between Contador and what will hopefully be his second Vuelta victory.</p>

More...