Quantcast

Contador takes emotional victory to tighten grip on maglia rosa

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Alberto Contador (Specialized bikes) powered to an emotional stage victory Tuesday in the 12.7km climbing time trial at Nevegal to tighten his grip on the maglia rosa with just five days of racing left in the 2011 Giro d'Italia.</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador claimed his second stage victory during the 2011 Giro and widened his lead to second-place Michele Scarponi to nearly 5 minutes.</p><p>
</p><p>
The Saxo Bank-Sungard captain pointed his finger to the heavens from the winner's podium to dedicate the victory to Xavier Tondo, a Spanish pro who was killed in a bizarre accident in Spain on Monday.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I just couldn't believe it when I heard the news yesterday. He was not only a great racer, but he was a great person," Contador said. "I really wanted to win this stage for him today. This victory was for him."</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador rode his Specialized bike to another impressive victory, his second of this Giro but his first since claiming the race leader's pink jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's always special to win any race, but to do this today, with the support of the Italian fans, it is really something extraordinary," Contador continued. "The Italian fans have been incredible throughout this Giro. I am really enjoying racing here in large part due to the passion from the tifosi. There were moments today that the crowds barely opened up in time."</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador was untouchable on the short but steep course. The opening third of the course was relatively easy, but things got steep real fast when the course hit a series of switchbacks with an average grade of 10 percent. The final two kilometers flattened out slightly and Contador paced himself well to claim the spoils.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was obvious that I had to ride progressively on the stage. I rode at a good rhythm from the start and I wanted to get up the course as quickly as I could," he continued. "I had the advantage of starting last and I could hear that I had 20 seconds to Nibali, so that allowed me to set a good pace. I had to full-gas once the hard part of the climb started. I am ready for a rest."</p><p>
</p><p>
With the win, Contador now leads second-place Scarponi by 4:58 and third-place Vicenzo Nibali by 5:45, but he cautioned that the Giro is not over yet.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The final week is hard. There are more mountain stages, perhaps not as demanding as what we've been through in the Dolomites, but the others will try to attack. We have to vigilant, but we are in the advantage because we can ride to defend the jersey," Contador said. "I know there's talk that the Giro is over, but I know my rivals will keep riding to win this race, just as I will."</p><p>
</p><p>
Other riders in the Specialized family also performed well in the first of two individual time trials featured in the Giro's final week.</p><p>
</p><p>
Roman Kreuziger was a solid sixth in the stage at 49 seconds off the pace and slotted into eighth overall at 9:47, good enough to still lead the young rider's jersey. Kanstantsin Sivtsov was 15th at 1:26 slower and slotted into 12th overall at 12:05 back. Marco Pinotti posted an early fast time that eventually settled for eighth at 58 seconds slower.</p><p>
</p><p>
"This is not really a course that's ideal for my capabilities," Pinotti said. "I went as hard as I could in order to make a good test for the final time trial in Milan. I hope to win the final stage, but this has been so hard, I hope I still have legs to perform in Milan."</p><p>
</p><p>
The 94th Giro continues Wednesday with a mountainous transition stage that could present an opportunity for stage-hunters to go on the prowl.</p>

More...