Quantcast

Contaminated rotor- teflon lube

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
I got some Finish line dry lube on my rotor. I tried to clean the pads and rotor with brake cleaner (I did it properly, soaked the pads, cleaned the rotor with a cloth soaked in the brake cleaner) and they still aren't working properly. I've got 2 sets of brand new pads, so does anyone know how I can clean the rotor of this lube to be sure I don't contaminate my new pads? I'm not sure if there is a specific solvent I need to use or something.

Cheers.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I got some Finish line dry lube on my rotor. I tried to clean the pads and rotor with brake cleaner (I did it properly, soaked the pads, cleaned the rotor with a cloth soaked in the brake cleaner) and they still aren't working properly. I've got 2 sets of brand new pads, so does anyone know how I can clean the rotor of this lube to be sure I don't contaminate my new pads? I'm not sure if there is a specific solvent I need to use or something.

Cheers.
throw your old pads away, clean rotor with rubbing alcohol.... good to go

new pads will take a few runs to bed in, but this can be sped up by pouring some water on them and dragging the brakes around the car park for a bit.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If you were using sintered pads, you'll need to clean the rotors using a scotchbright. A cloth alone won't be enough to remove the pad material. You'll need to rebed the pads in afterword.

Not a bad idea with organic pads as well, but it tends to be less of an issue.

Side note: you should never switch from sintered to organic without scrubbing the rotors. Not a big deal in the other direction though.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I remove the pads and rub them on some sandpaper. Put the sandpaper down on a flat surface and rub the pads gently in a figure of 8 motion, keep going until the whole surface looks dull. Refit them and bed in.