Quantcast

Contemplating a long road trip

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Carbon Monoxide, just to be safe. I just got back from FAARRRRRR west Texas. Big Bend and Terlingua. Used my Coleman several nights. I had the tent vented enough that you could feel a breeze but the heater still raised the temperature enough to where I could sleep nekid in a 40degree sleeping bag. The only real sad part is the 1 lb canisters only last 5 ½ hours so sometime during the night it’ll get really really cold and you have to put a fresh canister in.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
nice. thanks for the tips. how cold did it get? I think in Moab it is still gonna be kinda cold at night.

i just read in colin fletcher's complete walker re: suffocating in a tent. talk about a deep slumber.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
the cold nights were right at 32/34 degrees.
You needed a propane heater in a tent when it was only 32 degrees out? :rolleyes: I have not used one of those; probably is nice, but seems a little risky and I would rather not have cold wind and snow blowing on me while sleeping.

I did a road trip with two of my friends in Jan/Feb of 2007. We camped a few nights in places like Grand Canyon AZ, Carlsbad NM, and Steamboat Springs CO where it was 10-20 deg outside. I had a 20 deg sleeping bag and foam ground pad. My recommendations from that experience are have at least a 20 deg or lower sleeping bag, and a ground pad that is long enough to cover your whole body (my feet kept coming off mine and then getting really cold from touching the ground). Two foam ground pads would have been awesome. Otherwise I was fine sleeping in a t-shirt, pajama pants and wool socks.

Also, if you are going to be anywhere near Big Bend I recommend you spend at least 3 days there. I can recommend some super nice hikes.
I agree, Big Bend is probably the best thing about Texas. I did a hike there to the summit of the large mountain, it was not too hard but fun and nice scenery.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I agree, Big Bend is probably the best thing about Texas. I did a hike there to the summit of the large mountain, it was not too hard but fun and nice scenery.
I get stupid cold. I had a 32degree(advertised as but not really) mummy bag, a fleece liner AND a silk liner WITH thermals on and was still cold. Propane made it all better.
That was Emory Peak longish but nice.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am thinking in the mtns it will be cold but in fruita & moab i think the lows avg. mid 30's which is fine. my bag though is only a 40º bag & it has been abused for years. i will be taking another heavier duty bag too for car camping.

havent thought about texas. i do have to be at a wedding in austin in april. guess if i wanted I could add some extra days to itinerary.

I have been raising funds selling my guitar amp & turntables on CL & now have my gas paid for & then some. :D

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
FYI, evenings in the mountains on the western slope have been between 0 and 15 lately. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Last night, Vail was -15 and Gunnison was -24. Now that is getting on the chilly side.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Utah would have been my first recommendation; maybe PM Bikezion to get some background info. You could then head west through the desert towards Cali if ya wanted. With a stopover in Vegas to remind yourself of why you're spending so much time outdoors.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
FYI, evenings in the mountains on the western slope have been between 0 and 15 lately. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Last night, Vail was -15 and Gunnison was -24. Now that is getting on the chilly side.
yeah, that is too cold to camp. I am gonna leave at week later, cuz I gotta nail down some stuff on the home front & hopefully then at least the nights in fruita & moab well be in the 30's. But then again I may just head south to some much needed warmth.