Quantcast

content mgmt: proprietary or open source?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
work w/ filenet, which we mis-manage (rely too heavily on the db2 backend, instead of a side-car db), and sharepoint...well...do i have to spell it out?

we're going to have to re-architect our CMS & i'd like to forge a path toward alfresco.

major pitfalls? should i do what the cool kids do & go drupal?
would like to keep the same MVC design pattern for our web app, and not go portlets (even though it's more secure & keeps the user in their swim-lanes).

thoughts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Are you moving because you don't like the proprietary CMS, or because you need to move and are using this as an opportunity to ditch the proprietary CMS?

I don't really have an issue with proprietary IT systems as long as I have a path out. It's only a problem if I put my data in and can't extract it in a useful way.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well, we have a wildly inflated data model (trying to store actual data as meta-data AND store content), so we're in desperate need of re-architecture. however, we don't have the luxury of changing the data model, but we're looking more toward a CMS that plays nice w/ oracle (vice db2).

the way filenet (4.5) stores data presents itself as a dbms, but it's all one large db w/ virtual references to emulate N-normal form & integrity constraints. so, if you think you're writing to one table, you're actually making entries into *ALL* X tables, with the entries for the X minus 1 being null. brilliant, eh?

it's just a foul scheme, and it needs to die.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah, I gotcha. Was just wondering if there was simply an itch for change, or if there was an architectural/functional need.

I've used Sharepoint quite a lot but don't have a bunch of experience with enterprise CMS. I tend to take a pretty cutthroat approach to selecting IT systems - ideology like open source or don't pay the bills, or help me when I'm stuck on troubleshooting and the company can't help. Though my last two experiences with MS support were less than stellar, far worse than previous experiences, so... :rolleyes:

I suspect we don't have a deep enough enterprise IT group here to offer a variety of enterprise CMS experiences, since most people only deal with a single one at their company.