Quantcast

CONTEST: Don't Use Any Gas!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok, I expect everyone to drive a little. But the contest is to use as little gas as possible for the next 3 weeks, until the refineries start up again.

Post how much mileage you have on your car and we will check back in every week. Right now after a fill-up, my car has 97 miles on the trip odometer.

For those who do not have a license, just challenge yourself by not accepting rides where you are the only passenger. Then you save a car trip.

BTW, no complaints about how you live 50 miles from work and there is no Public Transportation. You already lost, and the booby prize awaits you the next time you head to the gas station.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And the winner gets..... A "I care more than you" badge.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No political statement, no messages here. Use less gas, save money during price gauging period.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I think I'm gonna go drive my Chevy 1500 around town and gun it everytime I think about this thread :thumb:

Jun 11, 2002
UK
How bad actually is the situation? I'm coming to the U.S. next week from the U.K. and currently I pay $1.80 (ish) per litre for my fuel (sorry I'm a metric boy!) but it's not the price that's worrying me. Me and my family are coming to Florida and we normally use hire cars and I was just wondering if there is any problems getting a hold of fuel at all? It's unclear from the otherside of the pond you see, thanks for any insight.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
the only problem besides the price of gas right now is people are thinking were gonna run out so thers like 15 car lines at every stacion. it took my friend a hour to fill up his tank.

J

JRB

I am not pulling the camper to our friends wedding, but I still need to drive 250 miles. I hate to, but "I'm not coming to your wedding because of the hurricane" seems a little lame to say. I will use about 1/2 the gas this way though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok Jerk-offs, here is a little math for ya:

Fill-Up:

15 gals at $2.50 per: $37.50
35 gals at $2.50 per: $87.50

15 gals at $4 per: $60
35 gals at $4 per: $140

And enjoy the 20 minute wait at the gas stations. I am taking the train today...

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
ELECTRIC WIZARD said:
How bad actually is the situation? I'm coming to the U.S. next week from the U.K. and currently I pay $1.80 (ish) per litre for my fuel (sorry I'm a metric boy!) but it's not the price that's worrying me. Me and my family are coming to Florida and we normally use hire cars and I was just wondering if there is any problems getting a hold of fuel at all? It's unclear from the otherside of the pond you see, thanks for any insight.

It's no big deal out in CA. Not for me at least. While I did ride my bike into work today I noticed gas for $2.89 a gal. (pretty good price) and the line to get it was not huge.

It might be different in the Florida area but you will still be ok I'm thinking.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Good idea sanjuro. I had zero miles on my trip odometer this morning. We'll see how it goes. I already canceled my trip to VA this weekend but there's a good ride coming up in N GA in a couple of weeks that I'd like to do. That'll pretty much put me out of the running.

D-train

Chimp
Jul 25, 2004
im going off-roading and im going to use a whole tank of gas...

but then again i dont really care, it goes up it goes up nothing i can do about it. im not going to stop driving because the gas is expensive, meh i just wont spend so much on other things.

i think is funny when people complain about how high gas prices are, its not like they were going to stay at 1.50 (random number) forever, gotta expect that the price is going to go up. l

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
No car, I win!

:p

Good on ya guys who choose to stop driving or do public transit(though let us know what PT is like). As for the suckers who want to go out and waste gas and money.....burn in hell!! :mumble: :D

I think I might just go start a gasoline fight at the local shell. :dancing:

The Ito

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
The last time i used my car was to pick up one of my moms friends at the air port. I take my cruiser bike every where, to work and into town.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Cars been parked for 5 days now. Ill use it when I have too. Everything I need is within walking/biking distance, and by the time I go start my car I could be 1/2 way there.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have been using the same tank of gas for about 2 weeks now, this weekend i figured id fill up before prices got reall y really nuts ( like they arent already) 20 gallons = $68 yikes!!!!!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
sanjuro said:
Ok, I expect everyone to drive a little. But the contest is to use as little gas as possible for the next 3 weeks, until the refineries start up again.
I figured i would wake this thread up.
I filled up on 8/29 & am still above 1/2 a tank. I dont know how many miles I have driven.
I might have to get gas in 2 weeks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
I figured i would wake this thread up.
I filled up on 8/29 & am still above 1/2 a tank. I dont know how many miles I have driven.
I might have to get gas in 2 weeks.
Well done, man!

Last time I filled up was on August 19th. Car's on empty, but I think I can hold off filling up again until the end of the weekend.

I don't know how many miles I've driven during that time, but I know I've *ridden* over 500. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i deliver food for a living and am still onlly going through about half a tank (16.9 gallon tank) a week. i don't drive a lot outside of work anyway. as much as i enjoy driving my car, its the rest of traffic that i despise.

if i didn't deliver, a tank would last me a month. i live .5 miles from work and 3.5 from school. the only two places i ever really go.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I filled up at $2.47/g. I just hit a 1/4 tank. If I needed gas today I would pay $3.49/g. I read that prices should go down soon. How long do you think I should hold out for?

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
i filled up my prius 8/12, and put 11 gallons in it, at 57 miles to the gallon i can go 627 miles before i need to fill up again. Basically i drive to school and back, 18 miles a day. But i do drive on weekends....i would guess with the amount of gas i have left Im due for a fill up sometime around 9/12, exactly a month.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Kopiklokoli said:
i filled up my prius 8/12, and put 11 gallons in it, at 57 miles to the gallon i can go 627 miles before i need to fill up again. Basically i drive to school and back, 18 miles a day. But i do drive on weekends....i would guess with the amount of gas i have left Im due for a fill up sometime around 9/12, exactly a month.

nice
:thumb:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I bus into work (about 15 miles of bus) and ride 1.5-2 miles by my bike into work. It is Downhill to work and uphill back. :) Better than the other way around. I still have to drive 5 miles to the park and ride. It takes me longer to bus (Door to door) and the cost of driving my truck and bussing is about break even at around $3.00 a gallon. That is if I only consider the cost of gas for driving my truck. I buss when I can because I hate sitting on the freeway waiting to inch forward on I-405 in Bellevue, WA. Thunder storms rolled thru Yesterday and soaked me on the way to work. :) not to bad though....was nice going home. $2.50 each way for a bus ride is pricy.....I can drive an extra 2-3 miles to another park and ride and pay $1.50 each way (stupid fare zones....hahaha but there are less busses and they tend to be packed and the bike racks often are full and I might need to catch the next bus. Sometimes it is 2-5 minutes between express busses during commuting hours at the $2.50 site and 30 minutes at the $1.50 site.....

It is a mixed bag. I get to ride a little bit....more than if I were to get home and put off riding at all after work.

If I had to pay for parking then the bus would save money hand over fist......but it is pretty much break even right now. Bussing I get less stressfull drive in but an extra 30 or more minutes total commute time.

I am just glad this job does not require a suit and tie....or else I wouldn't really have the choice of bus/biking.