Quantcast

Contour HD 1080p, or GoPro Hero HD?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Or something else?

Ignoring mounting options, which is the better camera, in terms of functionality and/or quality?

For mounting, I presume the GP is the only one that has a chest harness? Which pretty much sells me on it straight away to be honest...

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Not sure if I can embed this properly, but I just got the chest mount for my go pro hd. This is entirely unedited, and was shot in 960. I can't wait till the downhill trails thaw/melt so I can try out the camera on some runs.

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1173926713606" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1173926713606" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just bought a LG LED 240Hz TV and my ContourHD plugs right in the USB slot on the TV and the play back is incredible. Previously I had only watched the playback on my computer and I have been blown away with the playback on the TV.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I have the older Go Pro Hero Wide, and do not recommend buying a GoPro product. In short, it's designed to run on a higher voltage than the batteries can realistically provide, which means it generally records for up to 12 minutes per set of batteries. And, most other people I talk to that have a GoPro say the same thing. I can't tell you how many times I've been irate because the stupid thing didn't record a run.

This may be fixed with the HD camera since it has a 3+ volt Li-ion battery, but considering they sold how many thousands of cameras that they knew didn't work properly...that's a no go in my books.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have the go pro hd. I haven't had any battery issues. It does have a battery meter on the lcd screen. AFAIK it is accurate. Haven't ran out of juice even in super cold snow storms skiing at 12,000ft.

The instructions on the go pro warn you that footy on a pc won't be as good as on an HDTV. Kinda like what profro sez, and I agree.

The Go Pro has lots of different recording options. It does take a bit of a learning curve to get used to. Especially figuring out where to point the dang thang when you're in your "attack" position. Takes some experimenting.

I'm finding out that just the POV gets kinda boring. Anything over 2min is yawnsville. I don't care how gnarly the terrain or riding. The POV just flattens it all out. I plan on experimenting w/ additional shots (off the bike, non-pov) to get the full feel of the experience.

Here's my YouTube channel w/ only Go Pro HD Footy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sylentkptown

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I just bought a LG LED 240Hz TV and my ContourHD plugs right in the USB slot on the TV and the play back is incredible. Previously I had only watched the playback on my computer and I have been blown away with the playback on the TV.
The instructions on the go pro warn you that footy on a pc won't be as good as on an HDTV. Kinda like what profro sez, and I agree.
Well that shouldn't be right. I recommend installing VLC and playing any files back with that, it should be easily as good at decoding and displaying a video stream as your TV is, especially if you use the right options ("Yadif (2x)" if it needs deinterlacing, for example).

Of course you need a decent monitor too - mine is just as good as my TV, many cheaper flat panel computer screens are poor.

VLC FTW :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I've used the Gopro pretty extensively in the pas year with zero problems, though the short battery life was annoying. The new HD model lasts way longer, I had it on and off for the better part of more than an hour in 2 degree weather and it still had had half its charge.

I've only really used it once other than test shots, but it was an overcast day skiing so it's not the best. Shot at 720p 60fps, edited w/ Sony Vegas: Smuggs 123009 on Vimeo[/ame] and a test of the slow-mo capabilities, again in a low light snow storm [ame="http://vimeo.com/8517503""]Sherman in the snow on Vimeo

Dave took it down to the urban race in Chile and will also have it at the Chilean nationals at La Parva this coming weekend. looking forward to seeing the result.

2 thumbs up for the Gopro all the way. Tons of recording options, 5.0mp still camera, and the ability to get really creative with different mounting options. There a bunch of vids on my vimeo page with various angles, but they're all shot with the non-HD camera.

takes pretty decent pictures as well:

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I was wondering about the same thing - Vholdr Vs. Go Pro. Lots of good info here.

It would seem from user input that the newer Go-Pro HD has superior batt life compared to the "standard" Go-Pro. Another advantage I noticed was the wider FOV on the Go-Pro vs. the Vholdr... so hmmm... perhaps a Go-Pro HD purchase is in the near future...

Can't wait to see Dave's footy from Valpo!

Lee and Sylent - thanks for the pics and vids! Sylent - some SWEET powder riding there... man - I need to get out West again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The new go pro HD uses a battery pack, the old one used AAAs and tore through them. Same experience with my Go Pro HDs here, the batteries last for hours, even in cold weather. Better get yourself some huge memory cards though if you shoot in 1080p...

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I have a GoProWide and the trick I found last summer with regard to the batteries was not to use rechargeable ones. Once I tried lithium batteries, the problems I had with the camera turning off mid-run went away, I got much better record times, but I also spent more money on batteries. the rechargeable NiMH batteries have a lower voltage than lithium batteries and do not work well in that application. I was glad to see that GoPro opted for a lithium pack in the HD version, but I will not be buying it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I got a GoPro HD over the weekend and let my buddy use it for some moto footage. The picture is ridiculous. Best results with 720p at 60fps. the full 1080p at 30fps had more motion blurs but still looked stellar.

I cannot wait to try it out myself on the DH bike. I got the chest mount because I like the perspective the best.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I use a Contour 1080p and mostly like how it's low profile compared to the GoPro - less likely to snag etc.

I've shot a day's worth of footage at a time without the battery running out on me and mostly use 720p for the higher frame rate as someone mentioned before.

Worth a mention but I bumped into someone in the gondola during the megavalanche a month ago and he said that he's had issues with the new ContourGPS not working properly.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I got the gopro, and my housemate has a contour. We both agree that the picture quality of the gopro is much better, as are the mounting options. Gopro all the way.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
tried quite a few different brands. some higher end names, some lower. Never ran more than a 4gb card, even with the updated firmware.
I dont know if this is STILL an issue, but to be safe buy Kingston Class 4 SD cards. No, a "class 6" isn't better - get the 4, and only the 4. Works perfectly. Lots of internet chatter around agreeing that the Kingston Class 4 is the only reliable card for a gopro. Or was, at any rate.

This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-16GB-Class-Flash-Memory/dp/B0013AV9TW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1312549124&sr=8-5

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Also remember that you can get the extra battery that attaches to the back of the new gopro for extended battery life. The LCD screen also works very well.

The only thing that I like about the Contour+ is that you can get the Iphone app to use it as a screen. Not sure if the app is available yet or not, haven't checked in awhile.