Quantcast

Contour +

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Has anyone tried the new contour+ camera? Is it better than the old contour hd or gopro hd? Regular model is super cheap on hucknroll so im really curious if it is worth that much extra.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Has anyone tried the new contour+ camera? Is it better than the old contour hd or gopro hd? Regular model is super cheap on hucknroll so im really curious if it is worth that much extra.
Amazon has the ContourHD 1080 for $140 with free shipping just FYI

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
$140 sounds like a great deal.

Any thoughts on Contour over Go-pro?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
$140 sounds like a great deal.

Any thoughts on Contour over Go-pro?
Go-Pro = chest mount and more fisheye (if you're into that)
I think the contour is great if you don't need/want the chest mount option.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Ive owned both the GoPro HD Hero 1080 and Contour 1080.

The GoPro is better in every way, if a little bulkier. The Contour + now has GPS ... which is a big whoopdeedoo and it drains your battery faster.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Ive owned both the GoPro HD Hero 1080 and Contour 1080.

The GoPro is better in every way, if a little bulkier. The Contour + now has GPS ... which is a big whoopdeedoo and it drains your battery faster.
The ContourGPS has had the GPS for a bit already..

Contour+ is a different beast, supposedly better image/video quality, I'm curious also if anyone has any time on it as well.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Go-Pro = chest mount and more fisheye (if you're into that)
I think the contour is great if you don't need/want the chest mount option.
The new contour + is as wide as go pro. I assume older is still ok for seeing the track? I dont really care for the chest mount. Imho films from it look crappy and I tend to prefer longer cockpit so with me streched out a bit I dont think that would be a good option anyway.

Still curious how the gopro is better? Image quality better in any way other than that wide angle?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I have the contour +. in 720 mode it is as wide as a gopro hd. And the same in 1080. Side by side comparisons on a edit suite monitor show it has a better picture quality. You can use a real microphone with it and Bluetooth link it to your smart phone to check your shot and adjust aperture and color settings remotely.

It is a sick product that I have used on professional shoots many times.

Plus it's easy to use with gloves on. Big switch on the top for go.

Turn the gps off and get a big memory card and it's great.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yah, this is a few different ones. Check out their site. That Cam is the newest one. The one I have been using.

Cost is up there though, but worth it.

Cecil
Is the Drift action hd worth he extra cash over the 170 stealth hd? Their site is a bit confusing about the differances between cameras. The top model seems to make higher res pictures but what are the other advantages?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
another great thing about the GoPro is the endless amounts of ways it can be mounted...and not just for biking. the GoPro is pretty much the go-to cam for action type scenes. plus its rated to 180' of water if you like to dive.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
another great thing about the GoPro is the endless amounts of ways it can be mounted...and not just for biking. the GoPro is pretty much the go-to cam for action type scenes. plus its rated to 180' of water if you like to dive.
I only do snowboard and bike. I will useit only on my helmet. No strange poles, chestmounts etc.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I didn't much like the Contour(HD, again) helmet mounting options, whether full-face or vented XC lid. In fact, I packed up all my Contour stuff and am returning it tomorrow after having tried to make it work to my liking over the past 3 weeks.

Meh.

Maybe I'll give GoPro a shot, or maybe I'll wait for another revision of the wares to come out…

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I didn't much like the Contour(HD, again) helmet mounting options, whether full-face or vented XC lid. In fact, I packed up all my Contour stuff and am returning it tomorrow after having tried to make it work to my liking over the past 3 weeks.

Meh.

Maybe I'll give GoPro a shot, or maybe I'll wait for another revision of the wares to come out…
don't pack it up quite yet, there's a few tricks to get the Contour working great. At $140 it's hard to beat.

A buddy has been working with a few different mounts with good success
http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet-cams/custom-contourhd-camera-mounts-736366.html#post8420714

I've got a helmet mount as solid as any go-pro and I should have the chesty harness figured out this week too.

There's 2 issues with xc lids. First is the helmet moves around on your head more than you think, second...I've found that most of the things I ride with an xc lid on are pretty boring to watch anyways.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
One of the things that makes the GoPro stand out over the competition, is how it manages the change in light/dark. The Contour being the worst of the bunch (Contour/Drift/GoPro).

Last edited: