Quantcast

Contractor Monkeys - Electrical Help

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
and what about your breaker, dual wire black and red?
I can't access the back of the breaker box without pulling the face cover off. I know my limits with sparky and that's past it.

Dang that tab is still in place so they are using the outlet as a wire nut to make the connection between the two blacks. Do you know what's on the other end of the red wire?

*in that pic I posted the previous homeowner (?) had removed the tab and regretted it so they installed a jumper. The extra pigtails on the black side make no sense. Ended up rewiring every outlet and switch in the house.
Negative. I lose it in the wall at that point.

*Edited

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Except they didn't do the same thing with the neutral, which means there is probably an unbalanced circuit somewhere. Probably not a big deal unless you want to install a GFCI, but kind of points out that shit wasn't done properly.
Yeah without a doubt that outlet isn't making sense. Next step is to figure out which black is supplying power and which side is passing it. The neutral side is wonky. I think they are using that red wire as a neutral maybe. It's janky - need to find the other end. Is the romex your new circuit? @stoney

I would never use an outlet to make a connection that can be made with a wire nut.

I hate hate using the stabby connections in switches / outlets. I especially hate the little stabbers that come with lights from Asia. Bend that shit around the screw under the plate and use appropriate wire nuts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah without a doubt that outlet isn't making sense. Next step is to figure out which black is supplying power and which side is passing it. The neutral side is wonky. I think they are using that red wire as a neutral maybe. It's janky - need to find the other end. Is the romex your new circuit? @stoney

I would never use an outlet to make a connection that can be made with a wire nut.

I hate hate using the stabby connections in switches / outlets. I especially hate the little stabbers that come with lights from Asia. Bend that shit around the screw under the plate and use appropriate wire nuts.

I'm betting the switch is connected to the red/white wire there and acting as a sinking switch instead of a sourcing switch. Which is bad news as the outlet will still be hot while off, only allowing a short circuit.

Not the end of the world though, a GFCI should make it safer.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I guess you could try sticking your dick into one, your body, your choice.

Oh, an RCD.

4D64A636-9F9A-4423-B942-993525BCC0F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
this thread has not delivered on its implicit promise of 120V x 15A through stoney's appendages

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah without a doubt that outlet isn't making sense. Next step is to figure out which black is supplying power and which side is passing it. The neutral side is wonky. I think they are using that red wire as a neutral maybe. It's janky - need to find the other end. Is the romex your new circuit?
That's the fun part that I don't know how to do... Adding pictures from the next outlet, with the switch, below. And yes.
IMG_20211105_144208_02.jpg

I'm betting the switch is connected to the red/white wire there and acting as a sinking switch instead of a sourcing switch. Which is bad news as the outlet will still be hot while off, only allowing a short circuit.

I'm going to grab that tool. I'll swap to a GFCI too.
IMG_20211105_144208_01.jpg

Given the 12/2 is coming from the right entry on the original outlet and it's coming from the left on this one, I'd assume that's the same line. I can open up the two switches too, if helpful.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Adding to today's surprise... Original outlet.
IMG_20211105_155016_01.jpg

Same for switch outlet.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

A switch on the neutral, that's sketchy and can only lead to bad things. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. GFCI is a lazy solution but will keep you from dying.

I had a GFCI save me this last spring. Outlets in the dining room were dead. All 6 boxes - no power anywhere. Then I went outside and found a GFCI on the wall on the porch. When I reset it all my outlets had power. So I tripped it again and was putting all the boxes back together. I was clutching an outlet in my hand when I heard my wife say "hey look this GFCI is tripped"

Then I felt the juice in my hand for a brief second and she said "oh it tripped again it must have an issue."

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ended up just wiring off the first outlet and using a GFCI. I can't think of how to figure out this wiring without busting open walls, so went with the lazy solution, that won't kill me.

Frustratingly found my outlet tester after buying an opening a new one, so @Nick gets a now tool. On to building cabinet bases now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
TIL: always tell everyone in the house if/when you're working on electrical. Teh Spousal Unit, the dogs, the plants. Everyone. Even better, make them leave.
Same for crawl space access, should you happen to have one. Left ours open one time to step away for just a moment to go get a tool, and guess who decided she needed to step into the closet to grab something at that exact time?

:fie: