Quantcast

Contractors, be WARNed.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Interesting find today. Here are the states who are losing the most money through the Sequester:

http://www.pewstates.org/research/data-visualizations/the-impact-of-the-fiscal-cliff-on-the-states-sequestration-85899435504

Federal Grants.PNG

"Federal grants subject to sequester as a percentage of state revenue"

And here's a map from the 2012 election:

The only states in the top 1/3 of the "going to be fvcked by the sequester" category are:

Florida
Illinois
Colorado

That's it. Everything else is a pretty solidly red/Republican leaning state. Can't wait to see the voters in those states show their appreciation to their Republican politicians for standing up and insisting on this government spending cut...

edit: That first graph only shows "grants". Click on the categories on the right hand side and you can see that states like MD/VA are going to get screwed on the "federal salary" aspect.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Related to military presence maybe? Things could be real interesting around here since pretty much the sole employer around here is the military and related civil employers.
What's the prevailing mood out there in Conservativefvckistan anyway? Supporting government cuts even though it negatively affects their own job? Blaming it all on Obama? Wishing that the government would just erase the budget deficit by cutting off all welfare to black people already?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
What's the prevailing mood out there in Conservativefvckistan anyway?
"oh sheeit -- this may affect ME????"
Wishing that the government would just erase the budget deficit by cutting off all welfare to black people already?
no, mostly b/c brown is the new black.

btw, you thought COS was crackerville? closing on a house in monument next month, which is whiter than a gay pr0n *'s hoop

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
"oh sheeit -- this may affect ME????"
What kills me is that people don't care unless it *directly* affects them, and they can never apply that same aspect of government spending to anyone other than themselves. It's like they never learn....

Cut welfare? Great, I'm not on welfare, lower the deficit.
Cut food stamps? Great, I'm not on food stamps, lower the deficit.
Cut the Dept of Education? Great, my kids are in private school, lower the deficit.
Cut Medicare and SS for people under 55? Great, I'm over 55, lower the deficit.
Cut salaries for federal employees? Great, I, wait, what??? That's MY SALARY??!? WHAT THE HELL, GIVE ME MY GODDAMN PAYCHECK I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THOSE SCUMSUCKING LIBERALS WANT TO TAKE FOOD OUT OF MY FAMILIES MOUTHS!!!!! WHO CARES ABOUT THE DEFICIT, THAT'S JOBS WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!!
Cut Head Start? Great, my kids are in private preschool, lower the deficit.
Cut alternative energy funding? Great, I live in coal country, lower the deficit.
Cut Defense spending? Great, I, wait THAT'S MY GODDAMN SALARY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Etc.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
teh article said:
So, you want to know what’s fueling our entitlement state? You really want to know? Okay. Here’s the truth:
That article started out with SO MUCH PROMISE, and then degenerates into odd ramblings about Hollywood paychecks and the usual "union contracts". Not a single mention of health care costs, not a single mention of Medicare/Medicaid, not a single mention of SS. Its almost as if the original writer wrote the first half, and his editor crossed out the second half and inserted standard GOP boilerplate instead.

SHould have said something like "So, you want to know what's fueling our entitlement state? Ok. Here's the truth:

We are. We *all* are. We're doing it through SS and Medicare that we demand, the agriculture and corporate subsidies that we refuse to let go, and the government jobs that we go to every day. You think you paid for your Medicare when you were working? The average Medicare recipient today will get back *three times* as much as they put in over their entire lifetime. That's unsustainable, and until we realize that we're all the problem, the sooner we can start looking for a solution.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The U.S. now spends over 17 percent of GDP on health care... 50 percent more than any other country when measured as a share of GDP....

Anrig also pointed out that the government’s assumption of most health care spending for seniors had a major impact on their well-being. In 1959 – the year before Eberstadt’s benchmark – elderly poverty in the U.S. was 35 percent. Today, it is 10 percent....

[T]here’s not much evidence... to suggest the “welfare state” has grown more generous over the years. Total spending on public assistance and unemployment insurance will total 1.7 percent of GDP in 2012, no different than what it was in 1976.... Spending on food and nutrition assistance programs... is still less than one percent of GDP....
Corporate welfare:

The sequester’s cuts this year will amount to $85.3 billion. Around half of this spending will be cut from the waste-ridden defense budget, but much of the rest of it will come out of necessary investments in the country’s public infrastructure.

But there’s another area of the budget where almost as much money is spent — subsidies to Big Banks. In an editorial published last week, Bloomberg noted that the 10 biggest banks get an effective annual subsidy of $83 billion from taxpayers, and that almost all their recent profits are subsidized by the federal government.
Cut welfare to banks and fossil fuels and call it a day...

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just now in my inbox
frontier email said:
Please allow extra time at the airport when traveling.

Dear $tinkle,

We wanted to let you know about an important change at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that could affect your upcoming travel plans. Due to sequestration budget cuts within the FAA, your flight may experience delays due to non-airline airport staff reductions and longer lines at airports across the U.S.

As a result of these changes and to allow travelers plenty of time to get to the gate and onboard, Frontier has increased our minimum domestic check-in time to 45 minutes, effective May 1, 2013. Please allow yourself a little more time at the airport to get to your flight.

Remember to check your flight status on FlyFrontier.com or on our mobile app before departing for the airport.

Thank you for flying Frontier Airlines, we look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Daniel Shurz
Sr. Vice President, Commercial
also, we have an 8(a) set-aside due to spin up any day now (pre-kickoff discovery tomorrow), and there's no travel budget

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=14575

yes, let's inconvenience/affect commerce/business $$$ being injected by the private sector

assholes.
Or instead of laying off everyone in the FAA for 11 days until the next fiscal year, we just totally stop one of the branches of the FAA and lay everyone in it off for 6 months. I'm sure the wonderful republican families would throw in money and support us in our unemployment. I'm glad at least one government agency understands human capital.

Last edited: