Quantcast

contruction monkeys.. i need some help with floors

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi.
am remodeling my garage. i want to turn it into a small home shop where i can do some work on my cars and what not. its about 30ft by 30ft, no roof. it literally never rains either.

i´ve been looking around for floors. (right now is concrete with granite trims). it sucked balls, because concrete-granite joints are really trashed.
am interested in porcelanato.
am thinking about doing the floor all black, or maybe like a chessboard. flat black and flat ivory, about 15in by 15in tiles the ones that are kinda glossy.

all black would be cooler, but black tiles are like double the price of the ivory ones. plus they are harder to keep clean and shiny. so i´ll have to think about that.

but am wondering about the reliability of such floor for the garage. good? bad idea??
the people at the stores say it will held up fine.. but i dont really know.

how hard would be to keep it clean for the application? i dont want to end up with a garage floor all scratched or chipped in a year or so.... or having to worry much about chipping it with the jack stands or worrying about droping a ratchet.
its not like it will get constant auto-shop use.. maybe once a week or so, to change the oil, do minor work, change tires...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
ThePriceSeliger said:
I would also consider drains if there is no roof. When it does rain, it could be harsh.
i´ve never had drains. literally it almost never rains.
am in the middle of a desert. probably get less than 1.5in of rain a year.
i use my wipers like twice a year....

all black :drool: it exactly like this floor.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
It sounds like you're considering ceramic tile.

If you're concerned about using jacks and jackstands on it you can always use a sheet of masonite or plywood underneath to protect the tile.

Another, cheaper, material would be VCT (vinyl composition tile) which is easy to install, easy to replace if you want to replace a damaged tile, and fairly durable.

VCT:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'd go checkerboard like Pete's or some color that will be easy to find parts on. I painted a small shop floor dark gray once and after dropping a few things that I could no longer find, I repainted it an off white. The aerospace company had the hangar floors all epoxy coated and they were very tough, easy to clean, etc.