Quantcast

conversion question

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Slider said:
I have an old 7 speed hub will the 8-9 speed gusset conversion work??
Probably not, I think the gusset will be too long.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ummm depends on hub size I'd think... Isn't the 7sp just like a 9 or 8sp with bigger spacing? Should be the same. gusset is like 31 or 32mm wide...

CLancy

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
clancy98 said:
ummm depends on hub size I'd think... Isn't the 7sp just like a 9 or 8sp with bigger spacing? Should be the same. gusset is like 31 or 32mm wide...

CLancy
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT HOPEFULLY IT WORKS IF NOT I GET TO BUILD A NEW RIM.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
clancy98 said:

CLancy
7sp and 8sp cassette spacing is the same. You can run a 7sp cassette on an 8sp hub with the proper spacer, but you can't run 8 or 9 on a 7sp hub. New 7sp setups just put the spacer on an 8sp hub. Older wheels more than likely have a 7sp hub that are bit more narrow than an 8.

It's possible that the Gusset kit is set to work only with the larger hubs of 8/9 speed, it doesn't look very adjustable. Other options are the Spot spacer Kit or check at your LBS for track cog or cassette spacers. You can get various sizes and the aluminium ones give you a nice clean look. Both options are probably cheaper than a new wheel.

If you're set on building a new wheel, a cheap option is the SS hub from Nashbar.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I don't really wanna build a new wheel for monitary reason but if I have to I can get a 8/9 deore hub from a buddy mosy likely for pretty cheap I am just weaing all my options here. I really don't wanna mess with building a new wheel so if i turn out not liking ssing (which i doubt) I can just put my cassete back on. if it is to big can I take it ito a local machine shop and get one of the gussets grinded down to fit the 7 speed spindel???

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Slider said:
I don't really wanna build a new wheel for monitary reason but if I have to I can get a 8/9 deore hub from a buddy mosy likely for pretty cheap I am just weaing all my options here. I really don't wanna mess with building a new wheel so if i turn out not liking ssing (which i doubt) I can just put my cassete back on. if it is to big can I take it ito a local machine shop and get one of the gussets grinded down to fit the 7 speed spindel???
Why go to the trouble? Unless the gusset 1'er was free and the grinding is free, you'd save yourself some time and money with old cassette spacers, which a lot of shops will give you, or with aluminium track-cog spacers which can be had for a couple of dollars.

The Spot spacer kit is pretty nice. It comes with a large spacer that covers most of the hub between the cog and the wheel, and a bunch of different sized spacers to dial in your chain line.