Quantcast

Convert 135 x 10 deemax to 135 x 12?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Is it possible to convert a 135mm x 10mm deemax off of a demo to a 135 x 12mm through axle deemax? I am assuming it is? It is one of the older yellow sets.

Can someone point me in the proper direction for procedures and parts? I have a friend in need.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
As I recall, the couple times I've taken apart Deemax hub the bearings in both the freehub and hub itself were just the right diameter for the 10mm hub. i.e the axle fit snugly within the bearings which leads me to assume you wouldn't be able to fit a larger diameter axle.

Now that's not to say it can't be done, I just thought I'd throw out that info.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya I was wondering that. I have seen some conversion kist for mavic and they all seem to include bearings, so I'm just wondering if there is a kit for the older Deemax's.

I'm sure someone has tried at some point.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I would think you would also have to have a new freehub body as well. The diameter of the freehub body, like the bearings, didn't seem as if it were big enough to accommodate a larger diameter axle.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I have a buddy that managed to do it, I think it made it a total pain to service it or maybe just get the wheel on and off or something, ill try to see what he had to do.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If its anything like the Transition revolution hub at all, there is a kit that comes with axle and different bearings, from ther its just a service.

Just because I have to ask, have you tried calling Mavic tech?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am not sure about the deemax but in the SX no adapters = 12mm and you have adapters that insert into the ends for QR or 10mm.

I3ells

Chimp
Feb 13, 2011
Hey, did you ever manage to convert the rear hub to 135mm x 12mm bolt through? I have the exact same problem now =/