Quantcast

Convert 5" Z1 to 4"...

DHG

Chimp
Sep 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by HardcoreCrash
I've got a '99 Z1 QR20 5" that I want to take down to 4". what parts do I need in order to do this? is there a kit? and what exactly is the procedure? just a simple spring change or what?
Thanks
Crash
There are actually a couple ways. The simplest and cheapest way to reduce the travel is by adding a second negative-travel spring in the bottom of each fork leg. In each of the legs there are two springs (the long regular spring and a short (approx 1" long) negative spring. You remove the lower fork legs to get to the negative springs then add a second spring to each leg. If you want to do this I would recommend calling Marzocchi tech dept and have them walk you through it if you have never disassembled the lower legs before. I have done this and it works nice.......one thing to consider about this method is that by adding the second negative springs you are compressing the top springs which will in effect increase the spring rate. You will need to re-adjust your preload after doing this.
I have a spare set of these negative springs somewhere. Let me know if you are interested.