Quantcast

Convert Horizontal Dropout SS to Geared?

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Hello,
I have a frame with horizontal dropouts that is currently set up for SS. I want to run some gears in the back to give me a bit more range. Are there aftermarket parts available that will allow me to attach a derailleur hanger to a horizontal dropout? I am running v's so no disc to worry about.

I do not want a Saint setup as I will be using a chris king hub and don't feel like stepping down in hub quality to make this change.

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Sweet thanks guys. I will do a bit of research but overall it seems there may be a few options of hangers that just sandwich between hub and frame and use some sort of chain tug. I'll hit up a few LBS and see whats out there.

Anyone who has any personal experince or pics of how you accomplished this, please feel free to chime in!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
An idea that you may not have considered is the "dinglespeed," where you run two gear combos -- one for flats/descents, one for climbing.

There are a few ways to do this. If your current singlespeed rear wheel is a cassette hub, you can just add a 2d cog. If your rear wheel is a thread-on BMX freewheel type, you can get a White Industries DOS-ENO, which threads on and has two separate toothsets on the single thread-on freewheel.

Then, up front, you just run two chainrings.

If you do it right, you don't have to change your rear wheel position and don't cause any chain slack.

I have several friends who are doing this with cassette hubs on their 29er SS bikes, they run:

32 x 22
36 x 18

The chain length is the same for both combos. So they just loosen the rear axle, move the chain, and then tighten the rear axle.

Not as slick as a rear derailleur, but it's another option.

Last edited: