Quantcast

Converting 27.5" Fox 36 to 29" - or just running 29" wheel in 27.5 Lowers? (fork offset BS inside)

Jul 5, 2018
Hey guys,

Looking at changing to a 29" bike at the end of the season (spesh enduro 29) as it's cheaper for me to buy a new frame while overseas - figured I may as well benefit from it as I wouldn't be able to afford such a frame in the UK.

The frame I'm looking at is based around a 46mm offset and my current fork (180mm travel Fox 36, 27.5") has a 44mm offset according to fox website when I put the 4-digit code in, so I figured 2mm difference is pretty negligible if I can make it work, considering the prices of Forks these days (and the frame is going to cost me an arm and a leg) and how everyone moans that 29" forks have too much (51mm+) offset anyways.

Was either going to look at buying some new lower legs, or just running a 29" wheel in my current ones and restricting the travel down to 170.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this and if so, how did you get on?

Ideally new lowers would be nice as the fork could do with a full service and a bit of love.

Cheers :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I doubt you're going to be able to fit a 29er wheel in there without new lowers, but give it a try before you buy some.

You can run a 650b wheel in the newer 26" ones, but it's tight, and that's a smaller difference than 650b to 29 is.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hence it being implied! I ain't got time to go around stating the obvious all the time.