Quantcast

converting friends to DJ/MTBMX

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . . want to hear you expierence. . . . converting your friends (either xc'ers or bmx'ers) to 26" DJ/MTBMX.

i know conversion is "bad", i.e. let people come to it on their own . . . but i def would have like to have got into 26 waaayyy before i did.

building a new scene = let it happen, or start it up ?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Do you have a bike you could loan out? I used to ride BMX and was loaned a fully rigid Trek Bruiser for a trail ride. I was hooked and ordered my first MTB within a couple months. I now ride urban, DJ, XC, and DH. Loaning a bike is the best way I think.

I just wish that my parents would have been more supportive when I was about 14-16. They kept saying that as soon as I got a car I wouldn't ride anymore. So I really had no help at that point. As soon as I got a car I bought a bike rack. It clicked for them then....

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Why do you want to convert them? XCers I understand, but why would you want to convert bmxers? They are happy riding a bike built specifically for the kind of riding they are doing. I only suggest going to 2six if they are really big and just look awkward on a 20, or if they're older and just want something more stable to have fun on.... OR, if they rip on a 20 and want to be one of the best mtbers in the world. :)

Most of the bmxers I run into when I'm on my 2six compliment the bike and want to ride it. And once they do that, they understand that it's just a bigger, more stable bmx. They'll switch if they want to.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Loaning out a bike is the best way to get someone interested. Of course, you risk having your bike smashed.

My whole reinterest in bikes started about 10 years ago when someone loaned me a rusty beach cruiser. I've been riding every since.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Why do you want to convert them? XCers I understand, but why would you want to convert bmxers? They are happy riding a bike built specifically for the kind of riding they are doing. I only suggest going to 2six if they are really big and just look awkward on a 20, or if they're older and just want something more stable to have fun on.... OR, if they rip on a 20 and want to be one of the best mtbers in the world. :)
just to get a few of my old bmx crew out to spots that aren't really rideable on a 20". like xc trails where i've been building up berms, dubs etc.

and yeah, they would tear it up on a 26".

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
My best friend shreds on 20 inch but he wants a 2-4 because he wants sponsorships :) It was pretty easy to convince him once he rode mine.

You can't preach it to people - I think the best thing you can do is develop some steez of your own and earn respect for MTBMX by actually being good at it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
one problem is the territory BMXers. not all hate but alot do on 26s so before u even try make sure u dont have them

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
just to get a few of my old bmx crew out to spots that aren't really rideable on a 20". like xc trails where i've been building up berms, dubs etc.

and yeah, they would tear it up on a 26".
I feel you. Yeah, riding is believing. Plus, the more the mtb looks like a bmx also seems to help (i.e. low slung frame, 1 brake, single speed, slammed seat :biggrin:).

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
local Expert bmx racer.... like 6'4 240, rode my mob yesterday at the trails...and was like ohhhh sh*t i might have to do this... he just picked up sponsorship by SE and they have the SE 26"DJ although i've never seen or ridden one.....

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I'd just let them ride mine a few times on the street and on some decent trails. Don't push anything on anyone. Just throw out good vibes when they are checking it out and be positive. If they want to start it up, do everything you can from sharing knowledge to getting the best deal on a bike for them, and just encourage the progression without being overbearing and ride with them whenever you can.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
A friend of mine who really got me away from "freeride" and more into dj's recently told me I am slowly converting a crew of 20" guys to 26.

I was like "wtf are you talking about?"

He said guys that they ride my trails on 20's have tons of fun because they are different than most dj's, more like mototcross and because you get going pretty fast and actually need to use brakes sometimes, they get a little sketchey. But if they borrow a 26 and ride the trails they are like "Holy sh!t !"

The guys that normally ride 20 and switch to 26 at my house kill it. It is totally rediculus how fast they can go with proper brakes and traction. Also when they realise that they can do most of the same tricks on a 26 as a 20 they figure why not?

But I don't really try to convert, I ride 26 but in a way I wish I rode 20, I think most style tricks look better on a 20.