Quantcast

Converting my Zaskar to trials

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Wahey, I haven't been here for a while, and all of a sudden there's a trials forum... sweet! :D

Anyway, I've somewhat got the trials bug, I have a 20" Monty, and am considering buying another urban abuse bike (DMR Rhythm, I'm in love with them), and was wondering what I should do to my GT Zaskar.
So prepare yourself for a barrage of newb questions!

It's a 14" frame, currently I have a road cassette and derailleur, Truvativ North Shore cranks (22-32-bashguard) and Dice SMO rims, these are what I consider the start of the bikes trials life. My forks will have to go, they're massive Mozo R500's (look like moto forks), so I'm left wondering what to do from here.

I'm thinking of when I get the Rhythm, swapping the Mozo's onto it, and stealing the DMR forks off it.
What would be the best brakes to run on it? I'm happy with my V's, but have a spare set of XC disc brakes kicking about, would they be better suited? I'm also considering saving for a set of magura HS33's, it depends on what feedback I get on them.
If I find I can't ride with rigid forks (It'll be a multi-purpose bike, so I need my luxuries), what would be a good set of forks for trials? I'm thinking of something like old Judy DH's, or similar, with shortish travel yet are stiff/strong.

And finally, what sort of bar/stem combo would be best? I've got a chunky set of riser bars and a stubby stem, on a 26'er, what's better, shorter stem or longer? (I'm average height, 175cm)

Thanks alot guys :cool:

edit: changed a few details.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
ok lets go down the list:

V's are fine, if you keep them tight and clean. If you need more power, i'm not sure if the rhythm has trials specific disc mounts. (tucked inside the dropouts) If it does, use them, if not you don't want to risk snapping the mounts off of your frame. what you can do is run a front disc and then sell the rear and buy yourself some hs33's. Unanimously, these are the best trials brakes. they are easy to set up, work crisply and cleanly, don't deteriorate, and never slip.

Judy DH's?!?!? a DC fork on a trials bike!?! If you want a suspension fork, look for some old marzocchis (like a marzocchi dual) that have around 3" of travel. Failing that, you could always go with a RS duke or judy. Or, most expensive, a Fox Fork brought down to 80mm. All are good alternatives to a rigid fork.

On a stock bike, you can have riser bars just like on a mod bike. You will need a stem that is long, but not like a mod trials stem. look for 15-20 degrees of rise

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego

Judy DH's?!?!? a DC fork on a trials bike!?! If you want a suspension fork, look for some old marzocchis (like a marzocchi dual) that have around 3" of travel.
No chance of a DC fork on my bike :p I was thinking of old-school Judy's, with 3.5" travel, single crown :) I'll see what's in my price range, depending if I go ahead with the project.

Thanks for your help!