Converting P2 to single speed BMX

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by Roskos, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Roskos

Roskos Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have a 2008 Specialized P2 and want to convert it to a single speed. I've checked for kits, but the ones I find on PricePoint etc. are all for cross-country single speed conversions. I want to run a BMX drivetrain and want to put a BMX cog on the back. The one that Specialized uses on the P1 is a 1/2" x 3/32" x 16t with a Shimano spline and conversions spacers. However, I can't find measurements on the BMX cogs. Has anyone done this or a similar conversion?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bayernmunich

bayernmunich Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've never heard of anyone running true BMX cogs, there isn't really a reason to. There are plenty of choices for standard shimano spline cogs. I run a 12 tooth Gusset and it works fine.

3. Roskos

Roskos Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks. I was a little confused regarding the chain. A mechanic friend cleared up the confusion and said exactly what you did. I ordered the 12 tooth Gussett and should be good to go. What are you running on your front sprocket?

4. unskilled

unskilled Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I have an 07 p2 that is rigged up singlespeed and I just used the specialized conversion kit that matches that pimp purple hub they use. My two other friends also have p2's (alum and cromo) and another kid ss on a p1 and all of them are running a bmx style crank up front and the specialized conversion kit in the back. They've been running em hard for a year+ now and everything works fine. The kit is like 20 bucks and if you tell the shop what gear you want out back you should be fine. I had the shop do mine cause no one i know has the tools to do it plus its easier. Get a shadow conspiracy half link chain while your at it. Looks pimp and is pretty strong. I like mine so far.

5. rogue22

rogue22 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I run either oddysey or dimension 1/2 bmx cogs, they'll fit on any shimano spline freehub body for either multispeed or single speed. They're cheap and hold up better with 1/8 bmx chains.

6. ThePriceSeliger

ThePriceSeliger Mushhead

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I'm running a 11 tooth driver on a 14mm Halo SS hub, and a 27tooth Profile chain wheel.

7. Roskos

Roskos Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The half-link chain is what I want to use. I didn't know Specialized sold a conversion kit. If my Gussett doesn't work out I'll be going with the Specialized kit.

#7 -   Jan 1, 2008