Quantcast

Converting Real to QT or WMV

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, can't help you with Mac software. There are about a million results that come up on Google though. Lots of converters out there...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I checked with one of my Grad school proffs that I am still in contact with, and he said, that Real is a proprietary "codecs" and you cant really reformat/convert it.:(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
brungeman said:
I checked with one of my Grad school proffs that I am still in contact with, and he said, that Real is a proprietary "codecs" and you cant really reformat/convert it.:(
Just because it's proprietary doesn't mean it can't be hacked ;)

If it can be played, it can be copied.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
binary visions said:
Just because it's proprietary doesn't mean it can't be hacked ;)

If it can be played, it can be copied.
BWAHAHAHA!!! :D

That was what I said... is there anyway of "recapturing" it (kinda like capturing analog to convert to digital), and then formatting it/saving it a different way? My assumption is that if there is a product that will do it in PC there definately should be a way in the MAC platform!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
brungeman said:
then again copied and reformatted are 2 different things;)
Nah, same rule applies. If there is a way to play it, it means there's a decoder. If there's a decoder, then you can encode it however you want.

Like I said, it's on a Mac so I don't know what software will do it.

I'm not at my Mac right now but Apple's Compressor that comes with FCP might do the trick or you could try the demo version of Cleaner for the Mac.... i think its under the Autodesk name now. I know it used to export to real and I would assume if anything could convert real to quicktime it could.

Nevermind looks like Real isnt supported as an input source in Cleaner only an output.

As for "if it can be decoded then it can be encoded" that would only be true if Real licenses its decoder. I've never seen real media play in anything but the Real player, so unless Real Player has an encoder you might be stuck.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
caboverpete said:
Nevermind looks like Real isnt supported as an input source in Cleaner only an output.

As for "if it can be decoded then it can be encoded" that would only be true if Real licenses its decoder. I've never seen real media play in anything but the Real player, so unless Real Player has an encoder you might be stuck.
Maybe that is what my Proff meant... if their encoding and decoding is proprietary... then unless they make the decoder available...:confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
caboverpete said:
I'm sure Real doesn't officially license their decoder, I meant in the sense that all media is hackable. I'd be very suprised if there wasn't a way to do it, legal or otherwise.

binary visions said:
I'm sure Real doesn't officially license their decoder, I meant in the sense that all media is hackable. I'd be very suprised if there wasn't a way to do it, legal or otherwise.
Yeh there is usually a hack for anything but maybe the hacks are few and far between because Real has always been such a turd noone really cares to fool with it.