Quantcast

Converting Saint to 7-speed.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
So somebody is giving me a 7 speed cassette which I'm thinking of sticking on my DH bike, but I don't feel like spending any actual money on this, so can I make my Saint work reliably and not weirdly as a 7 speed system, and if so; how?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So somebody is giving me a 7 speed cassette which I'm thinking of sticking on my DH bike, but I don't feel like spending any actual money on this, so can I make my Saint work reliably and not weirdly as a 7 speed system, and if so; how?
What, like an old shimano loose spd cassette? Or a SRAM DH cassette?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't know, but I would think that would at least have a chance of working. The real question is whether the cable pull and derailleur leverage is the same or at least close. Try asking on mtbr too in drivetrain, lots of people seem to have ran franken-setups there.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Sram 7 speed DH cassette is spaced like an 11 speed cassette with 4 gears stripped off. 10 speed mountain cassettes (both Sram and Shimano) use 1.6mm thick cogs with 3.95mm spacing. 11 speed mountain cassettes (again, both Sram and Shimano) use 1.6mm thick cogs with 3.90mm spacing. So it'll be a tiny bit off but you should be able to make it work fine. If you set it up so it's dead nuts aligned in the middle gear, you'll be off by 0.15mm in the high and low gears. Not much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Sram 7 speed DH cassette is spaced like an 11 speed cassette with 4 gears stripped off. 10 speed mountain cassettes (both Sram and Shimano) use 1.6mm thick cogs with 3.95mm spacing. 11 speed mountain cassettes (again, both Sram and Shimano) use 1.6mm thick cogs with 3.90mm spacing. So it'll be a tiny bit off but you should be able to make it work fine. If you set it up so it's dead nuts aligned in the middle gear, you'll be off by 0.15mm in the high and low gears. Not much.
if its too far off on either end, you could just recenter it and probably/possibly have better shifting with just 6 of the gears, then run the limit screw in a little more.

oh, and you might need a longer limit screw on the upper (larger cog) end of the range regardless.